Waves 76 on sale for $99 vs. waiting for a Softube sale?

Dec 10, 2012
Washington, DC
I already have the Stillwell Rocket, but I've heard tons of good things about the Softube FET compressor, so I was planning to wait until it goes on sale to pick it up. But Waves has their 1176 plugin on sale right now for $99: http://audiodeluxe.com/products/waves-cla-76-compressor-limiter

Any opinions on whether it's worth it to stick it out for the Softube version, or is the Waves variant basically identical? I'm also open to "stop wasting your money, the Rocket is good enough."

Slate's coming out with a blue stripe version also, which essentially renders CLA obsolete in my eyes. I wish waves would would stop putting CLA on sale so that I can begin to try and sale my license lol

...Now if Slate would only add the "all buttons" mode.

the best regarded ones these days seem to be slates and the UAD mk2's. I think you'll be just fine with anything by waves, softube, stillwell, IK multimedia etc for the most part. yes there are differences, but they're id be happy working with any of them tbh.

I do like the CLA76 for general compressions duties, tends to get used on pretty much every mix (though I'm using the VMR more since it came out)

One thing I have noticed is that the CLA76 doesn't really do the all buttons in thing the same way my hairball 1176 does. Don't know if any of the other plugs fair better in that respect? For the other typical drum compression it does get quite close though.

I'm in the same boat. Used the CLA 76 on almost everything everywhere, then switched to VMR because everything else is in there too.