WAVES Non-Linear Summing Plugin

God damnit it. I HATE reading reports of people saying it kills VCC.

UGHHHHHHHH, I really DON'T want to like this plug but at the same time I REALLY REALLY DO want to like it because console emu's are my SHIT.

Going to have to demo and see how it compares to my beloved VCC...

And I DO agree the modeling of individual channels is fucking BRILLIANT. Slate was supposed to do such a thing but the update for it has never been released and I'm not sure if there are even plans for it....

Damn, imma have to demo this on my next metalcore mix. How's the 4k model for mixing metal? Too dirty?

Just installed the demo in the studio and had a QUICK play-around.

All I have to say is......it's kinda EWWW sounding..

The 4k model distorts WAY to quick and the distortion is QUITE unpleasant and very harsh and 'digitally'. For lack of a better term.

EMI seemed cool. Darker but RICH... not my thing.

Moving on to the Neve, which I liked best out of all of them. I found it very useable... and I was driving it HARD. The Neve 2BUSS plug sounds pretty cool driven really hard but next to VCC, I can hardly make a comparison.

IDK, I don't think this collection kills VCC in the LEAST bit. Even though I've been using VCC for a looooooooooong time now so I REALLY know it's sound, I still prefer it to this.

I MAY consider the plug for the Neve emu alone, but I still prefer VCC's Neve to this one. The Neve emu does have a very 'analog' type sound to it...with channel instances strapped across all tracks (all using different 'channels' in sequential order) and the masterbuss plug on the 2BUSS driven real hard and then trimmed back. Not too bad.

I still find it kinda klunky and funky sounding. The 4K is absolutely unuseable IMHO, VERY humble opinion.

I'm happy with VCC =D

Just installed the demo in the studio and had a QUICK play-around.

All I have to say is......it's kinda EWWW sounding..

The 4k model distorts WAY to quick and the distortion is QUITE unpleasant and very harsh and 'digitally'. For lack of a better term.

EMI seemed cool. Darker but RICH... not my thing.

Moving on to the Neve, which I liked best out of all of them. I found it very useable... and I was driving it HARD. The Neve 2BUSS plug sounds pretty cool driven really hard but next to VCC, I can hardly make a comparison.

IDK, I don't think this collection kills VCC in the LEAST bit. Even though I've been using VCC for a looooooooooong time now so I REALLY know it's sound, I still prefer it to this.

I MAY consider the plug for the Neve emu alone, but I still prefer VCC's Neve to this one. The Neve emu does have a very 'analog' type sound to it...with channel instances strapped across all tracks (all using different 'channels' in sequential order) and the masterbuss plug on the 2BUSS driven real hard and then trimmed back. Not too bad.

I still find it kinda klunky and funky sounding. The 4K is absolutely unuseable IMHO, VERY humble opinion.

I'm happy with VCC =D

I have similar thoughts. The SSL sounds terrible when pushed, and isn't bringing anything to the table when clean. I can't imagine a situation where I'd use it.

The EMI sounds fantastic, I can definitely see it being cool for indie rock or anything organic. Too beefy for metal though.

The Neve was also my favorite, I love what it does to the lows and to the stereo field. It also seems to tighten the low mids while simultaneously making them sound bigger (???). A great compliment to the VCC consoles.

I like the NLS channel plug a lot more than the Slate channel plug overall. The buss plugs are pretty evenly matched and compliment each other nicely.

the NLS Channel plug is DEFINITELY wayyyyyy more 'apparent' sounding than VCC for sure, but I'm not sure I like that. Having a mix with you know, say, 30 or 40 tracks with NLS channels strapped across, even at 0 drive would seem to really muck things up to me.

VCC channel is defo more sublte compared to NLS, but VCC's MixBuss plug kills the NLS's....the Drive knob on VCC's MixBuss is the KEY to using that fucker, AND the level of the signal your feeding it really needs to hover around 0dB or a bit hotter, but not pegged.

IDK.... The Neve is pretty bad-ass but I can't see myself using it really.

I'm too much of a VCC fanboi. Hahaha. VCC plus Nebula w/AlexB's CLC Pro MBC program is where it's at. That shit ROCKSSSSS

the NLS Channel plug is DEFINITELY wayyyyyy more 'apparent' sounding than VCC for sure, but I'm not sure I like that. Having a mix with you know, say, 30 or 40 tracks with NLS channels strapped across, even at 0 drive would seem to really muck things up to me.

VCC channel is defo more sublte compared to NLS, but VCC's MixBuss plug kills the NLS's....the Drive knob on VCC's MixBuss is the KEY to using that fucker, AND the level of the signal your feeding it really needs to hover around 0dB or a bit hotter, but not pegged.

IDK.... The Neve is pretty bad-ass but I can't see myself using it really.

I'm too much of a VCC fanboi. Hahaha. VCC plus Nebula w/AlexB's CLC Pro MBC program is where it's at. That shit ROCKSSSSS

Are you talking just in terms of metal when you say this or are you mixing several styles of music?

Can people that have tried it on more than just metal chime in here?
I was just about to buy VCC till I saw this thread. :bah:
Metal only makes up a very small part of what I do so I want to make sure it is an all rounder.
The EMI is attractive for the blues/jazz stuff I do and the neve for reggae.
Help?

I own VCC and tried the waves one. It's cool, but not cool enough for me to replace VCC. Maybe it's cause I feel a weird sense of loyalty to slate, but it's just not for me.

VCC plus Nebula w/AlexB's CLC Pro MBC program is where it's at. That shit ROCKSSSSS

So the MBC finally grew on you, Charles?

It's funny. For the last 3 projects I've been forcing myself to mix only using VCC in place of Nebula... but literally EVERY time I instantiate the MBC the mix just gets fatter, wider, more glued and less abrasive. Everything just starts to sound better.

Fearcomplexmusic did a Waves NLS demonstration video on youtube in Metal context:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTABXWIFpB0&list=UUC1smcqJ8vcV3JR8OzyuRqw&index=1&feature=plcp[/ame]

I still don't own VCC or NLS. I will be demoing both somewhere in time, first I need to get my Cubase upgrade.

I thought this tweet of Steven Slate was a bit unnecessary
FREE ILOKS THIS WEEK @shawnguess been EXTENSIVELY testing Waves NLS against VCC. no contest, VCC is fatter and more harmonically rich.

If you really feel you are better, you don't need to mention it and just let the people hear that.