Waves subscriptions

Yeah, just received the email too. I hate subscriptions. I used to use photoshop and adobe premiere because I had a subscription from work. I then switched job and half a year later I lost access to creative cloud. Now I can't access my video files anymore and I'm just refusing this whole concept. I have no problem with buying the stuff, I just hate the fact that you keep paying forever.
I wonder what will happen with people who already own waves stuff. Will they eventually be forced to make the move too? I imagine they will eventually stop support for older products and you can't update anymore. That will be the day I switch to the built in plain old DAW plugins. To be honest I can't hear the difference between the built in Cubase compressor and the xyz expensive Waves compressor anyway lol

Reactions: kaomao
Mercury Bundle 149$ monthly? :eek: Eventide have jumped on that bandwagon too. I suspect in the near future this will be the buisness model all the bigger software companys will use. Pro Tools do it. Will all the rest of DAW's follow too?

I wonder what will happen with people who already own waves stuff. Will they eventually be forced to make the move too? I imagine they will eventually stop support for older products and you can't update anymore. That will be the day I switch to the built in plain old DAW plugins. To be honest I can't hear the difference between the built in Cubase compressor and the xyz expensive Waves compressor anyway lol

I guess we can keep the old stuff, like steven slate does with his plugins.
Regarding the tone of stock plugins vs waves I guess is all about the harmonic distortions they introduce, an eq is an eq in the end, but the difference relies on that distortion.

Mercury Bundle 149$ monthly? :eek: Eventide have jumped on that bandwagon too. I suspect in the near future this will be the buisness model all the bigger software companys will use. Pro Tools do it. Will all the rest of DAW's follow too?

Yeah I think the same, all major software companies have introduced that model.
strange enough .. games engine were all like that but now unreal engine is free and relies on royalties. That's the same, if I'm not wrong, for cryengine.
Of course applying this business model to music would be impossible.
They should keep the old way of buying what you need, not all people want their new stuff and free software updates, people when know something is working good won't change anything

This is a pretty common model these days, and I can see how it could benefit someone short on cash ( a student, or maybe a band putting an album together that only needs a one month subscription). But you end up paying quite a bit more renting it this way than just buying the software, especially if you buy it when it goes on sale (and most of it seems to go on sale over the summer and just before Christmas, plus all the other sales during the year).

Yea I have not talked to ONE person who thinks this subscription trend is going to benefit them. Not one. The bottom line is that the companies will make more money this way. they wouldn't be doing it otherwise.

At least with Waves, I have my platinum bundle and one or two things that I use here and there, but other than that I don't really buy anything new from them.

I'm working on just purchasing the whole fabfilter bundle and sticking mostly to that and Slate VMR. It's easy for me to get plugin overload. I'd rather just stick with a few things that are familiar. Fuck it, if all Andy Wallace uses is the stock SSL channel eq and comp, what the hell do I need 17 different waves eq's for? Gimme three that do different things and I'll save all the damn subscription money.

I try to work with a minimum amount of different plug ins too, obviously I try different things from time to time but reducing the amount of things you have to chose from is just a way to spend less time fucking around doing nothing, which is a bonus obviously. That's why I clearly don't consider following that trend.

Yea I have not talked to ONE person who thinks this subscription trend is going to benefit them. Not one. The bottom line is that the companies will make more money this way. they wouldn't be doing it otherwise.

At least with Waves, I have my platinum bundle and one or two things that I use here and there, but other than that I don't really buy anything new from them.

I'm working on just purchasing the whole fabfilter bundle and sticking mostly to that and Slate VMR. It's easy for me to get plugin overload. I'd rather just stick with a few things that are familiar. Fuck it, if all Andy Wallace uses is the stock SSL channel eq and comp, what the hell do I need 17 different waves eq's for? Gimme three that do different things and I'll save all the damn subscription money.

I went the FabFilter Pro Bundle route plus Saturn a few months ago and I don't regret at all. In fact, I love having a smaller list of high quality/flexibility go-to plugins and some others I use occasionally (most of them are freebies).

I can't stand the subscription model of business. There are still some Waves plugins in my arsenal but I'm slowly replacing them for similar ones.

I have platinum 8 + master tape and I don't feel need nor to update, nor to have more waves since I've used 10-15% and they end up on projects rarely. I love stock reaper plugins and free stuff more.