WEAPONS cover art/details

TribunalRecords

Record Label(s)/Vocalist
Sep 12, 2007
www.tribunalrecords.net
a4110118159_2.jpg

BOOTCAMP SERIES #4

DECLASSIFIED INFORMATION:
When people think of metropolises of Metal the state of Maine is never uttered, trust us. Despite this huge disadvantage in a time before the internet a band called WEAPONS made so many waves locally that Mechanic Records came calling. Sadly enough, before ink could be put to paper, the suits had decided that Thrash was no longer the direction the label should take and in an instant prospects of a deal vanished. Unfazed by these events WEAPONS soldiered on recording more music well into the middle of the 90’s and updating their sound as they went along. A superb blend of thrash, hard rock and tinges of progressive elements really helped to define them, even now, nearly 20 years after the fact.

COMRADES IN ARMS:
Megadeth, Armored Saint, Flotsam & Jetsam, Death Angel and Skid Row

ARSENAL:
Limited Edition CD – only 500 units pressed worldwide – new artwork – band supplied photos – full color 12 page booklet with lyrics – new interview with Edwin Ecker III

Divebomb Records Bootcamp Series is unearthing lost sessions, unreleased albums and long forgotten demos by unsung heroes of this scene’s past. These are cult bands for cult fans. Are you ready to join the army?

To me, it makes me think of the old school album artwork from the 80's. Artists like Derrek Riggs, Ed Repka, and some of their Maiden albums, Megadeth "Rust" and "Peace Sells", etc; I miss this style of cover art and wish more bands would utilize it. It is cartoon-ish, which is perfect.

To me, it makes me think of the old school album artwork from the 80's. Artists like Derrek Riggs, Ed Repka, and some of their Maiden albums, Megadeth "Rust" and "Peace Sells", etc; I miss this style of cover art and wish more bands would utilize it. It is cartoon-ish, which is perfect.

I agree. It evokes a feeling of fun, which was always a primary ingredient 80s/90s thrash.

I love the old 80's thrash cartoon cover art as well, but it had a dark undertone and gruesome imagery. This cover however, is a cartoon for little kids with this "bad guy" reminding me of some "evil' villian that keeps getting shown up by a group of little kids or puppies that he's trying to capture.

I agree. It evokes a feeling of fun, which was always a primary ingredient 80s/90s thrash.

Exactly. A lot of album art by today's standards is so 'over the top' dark, and gruesome that it border's on ridiculous. I think Steven Cobb's work on this particular piece has a tasteful balance of darkness, a certain amount of mystery, and a bit of 'tongue in cheek' humor, which is missing (in my opinion) on a lot of album covers these days.

The attention that this particular piece has gotten so far has proven one thing: Steven Cobb did his job well...

By the way everyone, METALLICED is the Weapons vocalist. So we now have a DB celeb amongst our ranks. ;)

Also once you guys read the band interview the cover will make much more sense as to the "gentleman" in it. in the grand scheme Steven Cobb, along with the band ideas, was able to make something very unique for this reissue based off the band's past. That is Steven's goal (as instructed by me) for the artwork on every bootcamp. In the case of a band like Manta Ray who had no original cover art we had more leeway since we were able to base a new image off of their lyrics but with most bands we want input and to tie it into their past somehow. it makes it more authentic to me.