Weird Bass Resonance

koalamo

Aug 24, 2009
Hicktown New York.
Does anyone else ever have a problem with the bass resonating like a huge amount at 90 hz. I di my bass and literally every single track I've ever recorded has this huge like resonant peak at 90. I don't even know how to tame it. I usually cut like 10 db out around there and it still sounds weird. Does this happen to anyone else?

Well the bass is di so i don't see how it could be a room node in using equality to eq and the analyzer shows a huge spike at 90 as well so it's not just my ears :/ and yes it's the same bass every time

I'm not trying to be a dick by saying this, I actually legitimately don't understand how it could be my room so if someone could explain it, cuz maybe I'm just retarded

I'm not micing any cabs or anything, the bass is DI and it's not just my ears the graphic analyzer on my eq shows a huge peak there as well.

I guess maybe it could just be the bass but actually come to think of it, it's not the same bass every time. One time I used a fender jazz the other a squier vintage mod

I actually have the same problem, except mine is around 200 hz. It totally mudded up my whole mix and when I would eq it out it just sounded thin.

The problem did go away when I mic'd an amp though. I have a Fender Mark Hoppus P Bass

A lot of basses (even really expensive ones) have some notes or even
strings that resonate differently than the rest.

I have to admit that I have never come across a bass with a prominent resonance on an F/G (that's 90Hz).

You wrote how it shows on the analyzer and it's not your room - and I don't mean when micing an amp but how your actual speakers resonate on that frequency in your room, so check with other basses.

Only then will you know for sure.

You might have to
a) have your bass set up - if it isn't already
b) use an eq before it enters the rec preamp (a little narrow cut at that stage goes a long way)
c) use selective frequency compression (like the dyneq by brainworx)
so it engages only when that note is played.
d) change instrument - I'm not trying to be rude - I had too.

Please note that I'm no expert.

Thanos