Question about hipass and EQ

Rex Rocker

Call me Hugo!
Dec 21, 2007
Mexico
Ok, so I wanted to take off some boomyness from my guitars to make things a bit overall clearer. I thought I had a hipass going on at 100 Hz, but I started playing with a graphic EQ (you know, the ones where you have sliders and such) and I started cutting at 64 Hz... I notice, after a small cut of -2 or 3 dB's that it does make a difference... I'm like WTF?! Don't I have a Hipass at higher frequency?

So I go and check my hipass plug-in and there's two paramaters you can adjust on it. Cutoff frequency (which I have set a 100 Hz) and Resonance (which I have no idea what it does, but it is right now set a 0 dB...

Anyway, the question is: anyone know what is wrong here or what am I doing? Shouldn't I not need the cut at 64 Hz when I'm already running a hipass at 100 Hz? Anyone care to explain to me what the parameter 'resonance' in my hipass does, please?

And also... anyone care to recommend me a good EQ plug-in that has both a hipass and a lopass where I can see the curves and just visually acknowledge WTF I'm doing in terms of EQ, please? I'm running a Mac, BTW.

Thanks!

Could be the steepness of the high-pass. Some EQs will let you set that steepness (on mine its a Q setting, on some its a dB/octave), so that you have the frequencies slowly rolling off around that frequency. It doesnt eliminate any frequency under 64Hz.

also, even if you low pass something, you can still keep cutting lows

for instance

low pass at 800 hz on your overheads

then put a 200 hz narrow dip, the snare will go away even more (but now your overheads sound like a tube)

it really depends on the steepness of the filter, how many dB/Octave the slope is.
The only other thing I can think of that might help is try changing the order of these plugins, maybe your DAW goes in reverse order?

Best EQ EVER is ApEQ. http://www.apulsoft.ch/apeq/index.php

PS, the resonance control is for synth style filtering. turning up the resonance amplifies the cutoff frequency.