REALLY basic Guitar EQ Question

MegaMustaine

Apr 7, 2006
Hey guys, here's a dumb n00b question for ya...

my post processing when it comes to eq is very limited...basically never done it before.

I've heard a recommendation to make a cut at 800 hz and a boost at 400 hz. How would i go about doing this?

I have the most recent bundle and cubase 4. I figured out how to do high and low passes, but I'm just not sure how to cut and boost specific frequencies within the EQ.

Thanks all!

-MM

But don't just cut at 800 and boost at 400. Learn to listen to what you're EQ'ing. Turn that knob - is it better? If not, try turning it the other way. If it still sounds terrible, leave it where it was and try some other knob.

But don't just cut at 800 and boost at 400. Learn to listen to what you're EQ'ing. Turn that knob - is it better? If not, try turning it the other way. If it still sounds terrible, leave it where it was and try some other knob.

+1

don't be afraid to play around with the EQ and find what's pleasing to you. there's some basic stuff that most everybody does (cut out lows to avoid competing with bass), but for the most part just find "target" sound in your head you'd like to have and go for it. from my experiences, if you get the source right, cuts are the predominant activity - not boosts.

The best advice I ever got was ....

Get it right going in before reaching for the EQ. If you cant get it right out of the amp there is something wrong :)

Of course I still use a Low Pass and High Pass when needed and rarely have to scoop mids if its mic'd and set on the amp properly. Trial and error man trial and error!

The best advice I ever got was ....

Get it right going in before reaching for the EQ. If you cant get it right out of the amp there is something wrong :)

Of course I still use a Low Pass and High Pass when needed and rarely have to scoop mids if its mic'd and set on the amp properly. Trial and error man trial and error!

+1000

This is the kind of advice many people hate but it's the best advice there is.

guitarguru77 is right
in any tracking situation
pretend that there IS no plugins n shit
make sound like a hit record from the get-go.

and its really possible
just takes practice and growing ears

if you cant get a good preset that you like without eq in the software, its not a very good ampsim
or it doesnt fancy your taste
but as an audio engineer, you need something very versatile.