Weird Digi002 issue...

FW800 isn't backwards compatible with 400, though, is it? The plug is what throws me off, though maybe you can just get an adaptor...

Well I trashed the DAE Prefs folder, the Digi Setup.OSX file, and the Pro Tools LE 6.7 Prefs file, and rebooted...and it fixed the issue! So for the time being, I will be able to function without getting annoyed (haha), but I am still very much in the market for a system upgrade sometime this year. beyond dead, thanks for the info about the Power PC processors and the forthcoming OS... Honestly, I would rather have a Power Mac than an iMac (especially since I already have a pair of sweet computer screens that function perfectly well), so I will continue poking around the used market and see what I can get. This actually looks like a great deal to me:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-PowerMac-...yZ111418QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

EDIT:
Just saw that it's Power PC, even though it came up in a "Power Mac" search...

EDIT:
I am an idiot, I should have been searching for "Mac Pro"! :lol:

not quite sure but the plug size difference could hinder that. most external drives have fw 400, 800 and esata connectivity nowadays, so that port could be used for external hd and the 400 could be used for interface

You know, you can get a quad-core Mac Pro for $2300...surprising they list the starting price as $2800, which is for the cheapest dual quad-core model

I've always been under the impression that the dual processing machines are the best for audio stuff, but how does a single quad-core compare to a dual quad-core?

Anyway, I know a few people who are students at the University of Washington, so maybe I can get a student discount on a really sweet machine from the Apple store...

I've always been under the impression that the dual processing machines are the best for audio stuff, but how does a single quad-core compare to a dual quad-core?

Anyway, I know a few people who are students at the University of Washington, so maybe I can get a student discount on a really sweet machine from the Apple store...

Well, the dual is obviously going to run faster, but it's not as though the single won't be fast enough. I mean, it IS a Quad Core Machine. And Plenty of records were made on Mac's before the duals were around.

Yeah, see if a friend of yours wants to help you with that. Apple has a dal going right now. Any student buying a Mac for school get a free iPod Touch or Nano, of their choice. So, maybe you can give your friend an iPod, for getting you a discount on a Mac?

Well, I do know that I don't want an iMac, because I like having a dual screen setup, for the edit window and mix window. And can you install a second internal hard drive in an iMac? Another firewire card?

I don't know what the cheapest Mac Pro is, but if it's really a difference between a $1000 used G5, and a $3000 Mac Pro, the G5 won't be useless and utterly out of date for quite some time, you know? It's not that I don't have the cash, either....I've just never actually bought a brand spanking new computer for a premium dollar amount, and if a slightly older machine can handle what I need it to do, then it just seems hard to justify forking out that much, when I could buy a couple Distressors or a Smart Research C2 or something with that extra money!

Just for info, I have an intel iMAc and I run a second screen for mix/edit, you can do that with any mac, even a mac book !