Weird problem

TB666

Aug 16, 2003
Malmö, Sweden
Visit site
When I play games like Medieval:Total war and morrowind and watch movies(the movie in my sig among others) my screen goes black after a little while but the little light on my monitor still flashes(goes orange on some monitor) and my compuer is still runing.
This forces me to reboot my computer in order to turn the screen back on.
I have talked to the company that made my motherboard and they don't have a clue on what is going on.
Any one that have any idea about what the hell is wrong ??

My system spec : 2.0 ghz Celeron
512 MB RAm
Geforce FX 5200 128 MB

Could be a vid card issue, try updating to the latest drivers and check that its seated properly in its slot.

Try turning off ACPI (Power-saving feature of your computer) and see if that problem still persists.

Check the video settings on your BIOS.

TB666 said:
And what am I looking for there ??

Make sure everything setting seems correct.

Or...

Run the DirectX diagnostic program.

I think that you have such an old monitor that it doesn't know what to do when the video card sends unknown video frequency to it. Try changing the refresh rate from 56 Hz to 72 Hz to anything between those number and see what happens.

Arch said:
I think that you have such an old monitor that it doesn't know what to do when the video card sends unknown video frequency to it. Try changing the refresh rate from 56 Hz to 72 Hz to anything between those number and see what happens.
I already have it at 70 and my monitor is brand new.

Have you right-clicked your desktop > Properties > Settings tab > Advance button and see if there's any settings for your video card to fix this problem?

Do you have the newest and latest graphics drivers installed?

I've been to neowin and saw the dissapointing answers you got.

Given all the things you were told to do, lets go for a more radical, basic solution; See if you can lend an other video card from a good pal or someone from your family. Take out your present video card and put in the one that you have lended.

Play the game and see if you have the same problem. You may not want to hear this but there's a good chance your video card is gone bye bye :erk:

So let try this and than report back to me. I'll see what I can suggest for the following step as we start to eliminate the possible causes of your problem.

Good luck! :wave:

Hawk said:
I've been to neowin and saw the dissapointing answers you got.

Given all the things you were told to do, lets go for a more radical, basic solution; See if you can lend an other video card from a good pal or someone from your family. Take out your present video card and put in the one that you have lended.

Play the game and see if you have the same problem. You may not want to hear this but there's a good chance your video card is gone bye bye :erk:

So let try this and than report back to me. I'll see what I can suggest for the following step as we start to eliminate the possible causes of your problem.

Good luck! :wave:
I tried my old card an 64 mb geforce 4 and the game went so slow I couldn't play long enough to see.