What Amon Amarth releases are essential?

What Amon Amarth releases are essential?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SonOfNun

Bill Ward's Red Pants
Oct 21, 2003
The Southland
sonofnun7.wordpress.com
Amon Amarth Logo.jpg

For some people the answer may be none, but for those who listen to Amon Amarth, carefully select which releases you think display Amon Amarth at their best at each stage of their development. This is about which releases are essential to understanding and enjoying Amon Amarth (for those who are so inclined) and not more generally essential to all Metalheads.

Thoroughly nonessential band but I got through their discog without too much difficulty. These are the releases that stand out to me:

Once Sent From the Golden Hall, because it's their debut and features them at their rawest (excepting the EP, which I have not heard) with all their clichés not yet fully developed.

Versus the World & Fate of Norns are probably their best albums overall, with some actually doomy atmospheric cuts that show they can do more than write meatheaded gymbro metal. "Thousand Years of Oppression" and the title track on 'Norns are my favorite songs of theirs.

Twilight of the Thunder God, because it's an immaculately produced pop metal album with huge choruses that fills a room like nothing else.

No love for Norns? Tied with Versus for their best imo.
I was thinking of the OP question, "releases you think display Amon Amarth at their best at each stage of their development" and I think most of their sound variations can be condensed to their first 4.

Personally, the run from Versus the World to With Odin on Our Side is their peak, but that sound is best summed up by Versus imo. Does that make sense?

My favorite period of Amon Amarth is from Versus the World through With Oden On Our Side. I think that's all I'd really need to satisfy the urge to listen to AA. This may be because that is the time period that I got into the band, but I also think it's when they fully developed their trademark sound.

Having said that, early Amon Amarth had a distinct sound which was also very good and deserves attention. The first couple/few AA releases had more of that early Melodic Death Metal sound like very early In Flames but also with some blackened traits. Versus the World retained elements of the early AA sound but was the next clear evolution where they streamlined their songwriting, Hegg incorporated more guttural type vocals, and they achieved a more polished sound. Fate of Norns really accelerated this process, but I think they fully developed their new style on With Oden On Our Side. I'm not too familiar with AA after that point but my understanding is that the following albums were basically attempts to re-create that sound with varying success (generally less).

So, the peaks of Amon Amarth's development I'd say are: Once Sent From the Golden Hall, Versus the World, and With Oden On Our Side.

I'm not too familiar with AA after that point but my understanding is that the following albums were basically attempts to re-create that sound with varying success (generally less).

I think Twilight is where they reach peak streamlining/commercialization of their sound and it is a genuinely great album if you don't have a deep-seated aversion to squeaky-clean, radio-friendly death metal. Every album after that is just a worse version of Twilight, from what I've heard.

I think Twilight is where they reach peak streamlining/commercialization of their sound and it is a genuinely great album if you don't have a deep-seated aversion to squeaky-clean, radio-friendly death metal. Every album after that is just a worse version of Twilight, from what I've heard.

I've now spent more time with Twilight and I'd agree that it should be included in here. Having gone through their discography in more detail recently I would say that Fate of Norns is a real turning point in the streamlining of their sound which they perfected on With Oden On Our Side and which was still very strong on Twilight. It's still necessary to hear Once Sent and Versus to understand how they got there, but I think they peaked in the period above.

Hmm difficult to say, each era of Amon Amarth is special in its own way as the band matures. Thus you can see different eras in the bands discography. Each album has it own jems, different production, different song writing style.