What are Mikael Akerfeldt's influences ???

Feb 16, 2006
I think there are 3 categories here :

Metal :

Morbid Angel ( Duh !)
and a thousand more

Progressive Rock :

Camel
Yes
Tool
Gentel Giant
and countless bands since it seems that Mikael is a progressive rock collector !

and the most obscure is the acoustic pop mellow clean voice stuff :

I read an article in Classic Rock where Mikael said that Nick Drake Five Leaves Left was one of his all time favourite records !

He is a Joni Mitchell Fan and a David Coverdale (Deep Purple Whitesake) nut !

My main question is from which bands and guitarists the Opeth acoustic guitar playing (those arpeggios !!!) is derived from ? Led Zep acoustic songs, Irish folk, ??
I would really like to know this.

So what do you know about Mikael's influences ???

gracious
landberk
bill fay
linda perhacs
comus
mefisto
scott walker
candlemass
premiata forneria marconi

are some more obscure, but big time influences on him. all of which i highly praise and recommend. linda perhacs is in my top 5 albums of all time. scott walker is also an extremely overlooked vocalist, fantastic songs. and comus...to those who are already privied to it, of course is also still a big influence on him at least lyrically. but it definitely shows through in the songwriting on ghost reveries.

Death_To_False_Metal said:
I think there are 3 categories here :
My main question is from which bands and guitarists the Opeth acoustic guitar playing (those arpeggios !!!) is derived from ?

Probably Kurt Cobain.

Of course it would sound like shit but it would be something to laugh at for a few minutes lol.

She was bad enough trying to sing a System Of A Down song. God that was horrible.

Back to topic, Masters Apprentices perhaps?