What are some common mistakes made by amateurs?

neptunian

Jun 19, 2011
Thought it would be cool to get a survey of various 'gotchas' that folks here have encountered.

Alternately:

- What are some giveaways of a n00b mix?
- What were you once doing wrong (with respect to recording and mixing techniques) that you've since corrected?

I'll go first:

* Choosing inappropriate references for my mixes, or not using references.
* Mixing with headphones, too loud, for too long.
* Programmed drums all on the grid, no variation of velocity.
* Vocal reverb and delay too wide, too loud, totally clouding up the mix.

Unintentionally making your own main instrument louder than the other instruments, instead of choosing to do so for aesthetic reasons.
Not filtering out unwanted frequencies from tracks, especially low/highpass.
Putting too many instruments in the same frequency area.
Mixing without checking the balance at very low volume (bass level especially).
Making instruments sound good on their own, instead of sounding good in the mix (guitars in particular).
Using too much gain in rhythm guitars.
Not multitracking accurately/with precision.

Giveaways I notice a lot:
-Not highpassing pretty much anything that isn't a bass element. That, and overbearing, uncontrolled bass in general.
-Poor mix balance. Usually skewed towards the instrument the mix guy plays, or aimed too much towards making everything as loud as everything else. Disconnected vocals are also common in this.
-Heavy clipping

Things I used to do wrong at and now suck less at:
-Using the volume fader as a solution for every problem. Made me chase my tail for days.
-The reverb level thing.
-Everything EQ and compression related. That one is a lifelong journey.
-Overprocessing.
-Using automation to bring a mix to life, instead of settling for a single setting that is "kind of okay" for the entire track.
-Understanding that a mix should be balanced towards the role every part plays.

-Poor use of stereophony
-Unremoved junk/mud frequencies
-Ignorance of proper gain staging
-Too much compression is bad, but so is a track with the volume that jumps all over the place! Especially vocals/snare/bass
-Too much separation in the mix or too less

There's not much I find more unappealing than a badly mixed bass that is ALL over the place. So I would say that's one common mistake.

I'd have to say too much EQ and compression. When your ear isn't developed, it's really easy to overdo them both. My mixes got a lot better when I stopped trying to EQ out every imagined blemish. Knowing when to let things move around, and how much, is another thing that takes practice to learn.

Hell, I still feel like I need to put a compressor on everything.

Hell, I still feel like I need to put a compressor on everything.

I usually put some kind of compressor on most things. If not directly, then sidechained or parallel. If it's something that generally doesn't need it, I might just end up kissing it a little.

One day I'll fully understand compression. Oh wonderfully enigmatic compressor, your mysteries are only exceeded by your complexity.

During EQing: changing too many decibels in the same band, making that single eq change too obvious.
During Compression: getting too extreme in order to realize any notorious change, that, for trained ears is obviously too much.

Also not being consistent with tracks and levels.

this doesnt fit well in the context but dont you hate when all the mix is playing and you think, oh I need to cut 500hz in the guitars, you open the track, you start cutting and you dont hear it, so you cut more and more and now you boosting highs and you ask yourself why you cant hear the differences until you realize that you are EQing the wrong track! ahah

Picture_2_c.jpg

Im still fairly new to mixing but here are some things that I have found in the last year and a half

What used to be one of my biggest problems and still is sometimes: Not completely understanding the settings on the plugin im using or not having enough experience with it. Now when i get new plugins I usually open up old projects and start throwing them on different types of tracks and just playing with settings until I get a pretty good grasp of how the plugin behaves and how to get the result im looking for. This is especially true with compressors and reverbs for me.

Another thing is not mixing with a purpose. I used to throw compressors and eqs on things and just pick settings that I had seen other people use. I didnt listen to the track and just ask myself what needs to happen to improve it and make it work better with everything else. I think this realization is what helped me grow the most.

One more thing is using the solo button too often while mixing. I have an internal battle with myself every time i want to solo something.

this doesnt fit well in the context but dont you hate when all the mix is playing and you think, oh I need to cut 500hz in the guitars, you open the track, you start cutting and you dont hear it, so you cut more and more and now you boosting highs and you ask yourself why you cant hear the differences until you realize that you are EQing the wrong track! ahah

Picture_2_c.jpg

Totally, then you use Ctrl + Z compulsively until DAW crashes or suddenly it starts re-loading VST libraries, and then it's ultimate FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Some mistakes I make and can't seem to get out of,

- Mixing in solo. I used to do this for everything, I've stopped doing this for bass/guitars, but for drums, I just have to solo the kick, snare and toms, maybe the odd close mic cymbal, I tend no to for OH/Room. But I spend most of my time with drums crafting the sound in my head rather than mix appropriate sounds (though the sounds in my head are usually typical of the genre so they can end up fitting anyway haha)

- Not going far enough with bass processing. I usually have 2 tracks, 1 for clean ampeg and 1 for crunchyish/twangy sansamp. Reading around here you guys tend to split into 3, parrallel 1 or 2, and bus them together, and do absolutely loads of compression stages. I tend to compress going in a bit, then surgical eq, compress, colour eq, colour compressor, all on an individual channel. Thats it :(

- Not automating enough. I automate pan a lot. I automate absolutely EVERYTHING with the guitars/bass, rhythm and melody, not leads. But for drums, I automate the toms a lot for vibier fills, the cymbals according to how a drummer places accents, gets tired after riding a while haha. But I leave the kicks along pretty much, and the snare automation is very formulaic, hardest hits every so often on down beat of new section or before a fill as they tense and anticipate, but I leave the rest. I don't automate eq unless its for a specific filter effect like telephone guitars, sweeps, drops, droops. And I tend to just automate compression for overheads/snare. Not the rest. Needs moAr rigor!

Other mistakes I've corrected and beginers tend to make are

- Boosting everywhere rather than cutting to shape or even correct sounds.
- Boosting in the same areas, while it may improve the sound, not accounting for where other instruments are. Example, boosting the snare crack and kick click in a similar place.
- Not learning the theory of how a compressor works so just going by presets or what others have done, rather than mix specific.
- Making own instrument too loud
- Not using reference mixes
- Having an "it will do attitude". I have never had this. But others, especially in tracking and shaping sounds-surgical stuff, I am absolutely obsessed with getting completely perfect takes, at the most I split into sections, at the least every bar for takes, punching, looping etc I am obsessed with getting the absolute perfect guitar/bass tone and drum sounds for the song or style and how it sounds in my head, I had a friend complaining about how it took 3 hours to get mic placement right for a classical guitar, we both agreed at the end it sounded sick. But for the style I exhausted every mic position and angle until it sounded like I was sat in a dark church with an Italian guy at the front with a light shining down from the roof on him playing and singing an epitaph haha