What are some of you guys charging for last-minute session cancels/no-shows?

TPCalm

iShred
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
www.facebook.com
It's been happening too much recently I don't think some of these bands understand that last-minute cancels and no-shows means I've now lost a whole day of income. I would have given their slot to someone else if I knew they'd cancel at the last minute...

I should have specified that I already take 1/2 upfront deposits.

It's about trying to get these bands to understand that I have to hold back everyone else's projects because you decided to cancel a session. It's a whole days worth of work I could have gotten done with someone else.

I figured putting a no-show clause in a contract could fix this. I'm not trying to punish these guys, just want to make sure nobody else's time is wasted because a client doesn't take our time seriously, you know?

If you ask for money upfront, nobody will cancel anymore.

That, i take 40% upfront without refunding possible. For last minute cancels or if nobody shows it's +10% each time. Make sure you have that clearly on the contract.

Half upfront for what is more or less a scheduling error is totally fine IMO - does that not cover it? You don't do any work that day/week/the duration of the project (aside from e-mailing/texting/calling around to fill the now empty space) but you got paid half. Pretty fair to me.

Yeah, if 50% day rate ( plus whatever editing you can bill for other projects) doesn't a. Cover your nut and b. deter flakes, you simply aren't charging enough IMO.

It's about trying to get these bands to understand that I have to hold back everyone else's projects because you decided to cancel a session. It's a whole days worth of work I could have gotten done with someone else.

uhm...why?
If you took the 50% deposit (non refundable of course), you at least got that day somewhat covered. There's always stuff you can do to invest in your skills, even if you don't have editing around or something like that.

And the band lost a tracking day. If they can't finish in the remaining booked time with you, you book dates after your next projects. Nobody has to wait exept the non-showing shitheads.
Or am I missing something?

Cool, guys, thanks. Really appreciate the input.

I think I'll be a little more light-hearted about last-minute no-shows/cancels for now on. Like you said, I am still being paid.
And I really need to stop getting pissed off about that stuff.