What Band Do You Truly RESPECT?

okay, OIM gave me the idea for this thread.

state your case and provide reasons.

My pick is Rush, because after 30 years of being successful, and arguably the creators of prog metal, they are still humble and just decent people. And when Neil Peart's wife and daughter died within a year of each other, Alex and Geddy stood by him the entire time; nobody was making money except off royalties, but the money wasn't the important thing.

I don't listen to Rush an enormous amount, but Rush in Rio is awesome.
RTBwhite2.gif

As in, respect but don't really care for? Because any band I like I truly respect. Or are we talking like a deeper respect in any sort of way, like how John Zorn once saved Christmas in Hooville.

Bands I don't like, but respect:
Darkthrone
Rush
Iron Maiden

Plenty more, but that's what can think of off the top of my head. Bob Dylan, The Who, and maybe even the Beatles used to be on this list, until I started paying attention and realized how they weren't just important in forging musical history, but were damn incredible no matter how you look at them.

Quite possibly Dark Tranquillity.

This is of course sollely from a musical standpoint, as I've sadly never had the chance to chat with any of them. But I respect that they have been able to release seven full-lengths, five EPs and one DVD, without ever compromising the musical quality, and keeping it fresh. Quite an accomplishment, in my opinion.

probably AC/DC ... I was never a huge fan, but I respect their integrity and the fact that I never heard petty bullshit from their camp. No bickering, no drama, no female trouble, no bullshit. They just always delievered the goods.
Truely the pure definition of rock'n roll !!!

Alright, I see what you mean now. This will take some thought to come up with good examples though.

Dimebag is one, I never met the dude but a few of my friends did and they said he was just a great normal dude. No rockstar BS just "fuckin' A man, glad to meetcha, wanna beer!?" type of guy.

Pearl Jam is another, just for remaining true to themselves, shunning MTV and other hit-maker outlets, and of course taking on the Wicked, Bad, and Evil Ticketmaster.

I would say Ulver, they've sure changed a lot and I've stopped buying all of their new releases, but I still respect what they've done. They never have sold out, although the change was huge.

Overkill. The hardest-working band in metal, pumping out a new album just about every year and staying true to their roots while not slipping into cliche repetition. The fact that I also fucking love their music helps, but really, they're awesome people as well from all reports.

And uber respect for Johnny Cash. Because he was JOHNNY FUCKING CASH.

It's funny because you can respect a band for being headstrong and never changing their style, and then you can also respect a band for constantly evolving into new directions whilst maintaining their artistic integrity.

lizard said:
C. Velvet: yes, you do have to admire a band for keeping their integrity. That's another reason I admire Rush because they have always done things their way, and they've been successful at it.
With that logic, I'll go with Iron Maiden. Unlike Rush, Maiden get zero mainstream airplay. Hell, you don't even have to be a metal fan to like Rush. Anyone and their kids can show up to their concerts.

OK, but Rush's music is more accessible either way so that helps them sell to a wide audience. Who's listening to Maiden other than metal fans?

I don't think there is a *metal* band alive that could headline above Maiden. Not Priest, not Sabbath, not Ozzy. There are some rock bands that have a shot though:

Van Halen - if they brought back Roth for a reunion tour
Guns n Roses - original line up
AC/DC - maybe
Def Leppard - maybe

But these are for the same reasons as Rush being huge - almost everyone in the world owns an album from these guys.

Metallica could headline if they did some voodoo zombie shit on Cliff Burton's rotting corpse, but I think the damage is done. However, if they brought back Newsted.... :loco:

I recently finished reading Contents Under Pressure: Thirty Years of Rush; they've always had melody and that is what makes them accessible to a degree, and as they've grown they've tried out new stuff (the early-mid eighties is where they lost me for a while with all the keyboards)...

where I draw a line between Rush and Genesis is that Genesis devolved into a Phil Collins pop machine and Rutherford and whoever that other guy is, no matter how talented, whored themselves out to that bald headed little pipsqueak.