What Band Do You Truly RESPECT?

First off, I truly respect Dark Tranquillity for simply being completely kick-ass for so long. They have pretty much ruined any other band of the genre when it comes to quality of releases. I mean, they've been together for a very long time!

And of course, Black Sabbath. We wouldn't be sitting here talking about metal if it weren't for Geezer, Tony, Ozzy, and Bill, folks. I think its incredible that these 60 year old men can get on stage and rock just as hard as when they recorded the s/t in the sixties!!

One Inch Man said:
I wouldn't consider Rush accessible at all, they aren't Genesis for crap's sake. :loco:
Yeah but I don't think that you specifically need to be into that genre to own a Rush album or listen to "Tom Sawyer" every 10 minutes on the radio. If I was sitting in McDonalds and they started playing a Rush tune on the ceiling speakers, I don't think I would bat an eyelid. Turn the radio on and hear Rush squeezed between Foreigner and Chicago. Let's face it, they might as well be AOR. :tickled:

I'd say Negura Bunget. Their musical catalogue is somewhat uneven, with N´Cragu being a masterpiece, but their ideology (not that I can understand a single word on Cragu, but from what I've gathered in interviews and essays in Negura Magazine) is something I truely respect. They seem to have a true and great interest and devotion to their heritage and culture which they express in an exquisite manner through their music, and (most importantly perhaps) they (or at least Negru) are really intelligent and insightfull, something uncommon in general and perhaps more so within metal.

I have no respect for Negura Bunget or actually Negru, although the music is ok, some parts very good.

Package never showing up = lack of respect. I don't know whose fault it was, but I do know that Negru got my cash and I did not get my stuff. Although I guess I'm not mad since I've had a Negura Bunget as my desktop for all but 2 months that I've owned a computer. :loco:

I shouldn't have bought that boxset from last year, the only album I like from it (Maiastru Sfetnic) I already owned. D'oh well.

I respect Empyrium and Emperor for having splitted when they were a) at the very peak of their career b) at the point they sold best , so all their albums were really intended that way and not for commercial purpose

I respect Darkthrone for the Alarm Award thing , although I found it more funny (I should not maybe) than anything else.

I don't know what happened with Negru. He would respond to all my mails, he offered me a copy of Maiastru in that digibox, he even allowed me to send him interview questions (which I did, but with no response).

And then *poof* - he vanished. Now he doesn't respond to anyone or so it seems...maybe we'll get a good NB album out of him this year, however.

Those looking for the 'n crugu lyrics translations, they are on the band website.

www.negurabunget.com
Go to LYRICS > Download PDF > then page 6 of the PDF file

I respect these guys obviously also, just for taking the music to another level and making every single CD so different from the previous one.

Anyone having issues with Negru, PM me please and let me know. He usually responds to me. I must say the Romanian Mail system is the pits and I had to have numerous items re-shipped by him as well.

One Inch Man said:
Package never showing up = lack of respect. I don't know whose fault it was, but I do know that Negru got my cash and I did not get my stuff.

Haha that reminds me, I sent him cash for a copy of Negura zine last summer but I never recieved anything and no answer ;)

hmm right enough
I was talking trades and stuff with him and he just vanished

maybe he's had a breakdown or something

bands I respect...

nuerosis
frank zappa
godflesh
primus

basically for doing what they want wih integrety
there are mor of course, but they spring to mind as being about for a bit

maiden, motorhead, ac/dc

King Crimson, every release has been of excellent quality, and different. they have always followed their own path, but have stayed fresh and current along the way. I dont know of any other bands I can say that about.

I respect many bands, but i will have to say a band that probably noone will mention:
Orphaned Land
Besides the fact that the band has a catalogue of 3 brilliant albums, the whole concept behind them is very respectfull. I just felt it when i saw them live last Saturday (a lot more than i was feeling it when listening to their albums). Their music/lyrics serve a seriously noble purpose which i am unable to describe it because of my poor english, but those who listen to their music, definetally know what i am talking about. Also they are great guys, modest and down to earth.

lizard said:
I'd hardly say Rush is a radio staple; yes, they've had a few hits, but almost by accident...certainly, Peart's lyrics are in no way tailored to the top 40 market.
They're definitely never been a singles act, but Rush albums have been steady sellers since the late 70s and have an intensely loyal fanbase...I consider them to be on the border between progressive rock and classic rock, they did write on a large scale but were equally adept at writing concise songs, with a few exceptions they're music has never really been difficult listening but their musicianship can hardly be questioned.

I would initially say Metallica;but they are nothing but money grubbing filthy pigs nowadays; respect that they did things as they wanted without extensive radio play, MTV, etc.

The turning point for Metallica was actually during the "Justice" era. After saying for years they would never make an MTV video, along came "One".

Then they got the taste of MTV......suddenly, the black album spawned FIVE(!!) singles with accompanying MTV videos.

haha, you said "five" videos. They just made one video for the Black Album, adding 3 seconds of some dude lying on the floor for one and 2 shots of a kid in a bed for another. :loco: