What do I do?

Javi

Warrior of Jotun
May 26, 2002
Vancouver BC Canada
OK here's the scoop, i have a really shitty cd player, with a preset EQ (which i hate)and it has the crappiest speakers, i just recently got a karaoke machine with very good speakers, and a nice EQ, so i was wondering if there was a way too hook my player up with it, the karaoke machine doesnt have any other input lines other than the mic (1/4 connector). i thought if i took a 1/4 patch cord to the mic, through a 1/4 > 1/8 shrinker, for the headphones on the cd player. would that suffice? or does that pose a damage threat? ive been told that it may blow the mic jack.

That could be bad- a mic jack usually requires a 'line' feed- that is, a signal that has no amplification. The signal going into the mic feed would then be amplified as normal, so that you can hear it through the speakers ;). By using an imput from a headphone jack, this signal has already been amplified by the cd player, so you effectively would be sending a boosted signal, which would then get boosted again, which can lead to bad things happening. I've tried a similar thing, with all the volumes down reeeeally low (to minimise any potential damage) and found that the end result was a bit of a distorted mess, so maybe try it (be careful) but don't hold your breath.