What do I need to start recording on to my laptop?

Fvlt

Nov 15, 2010
Hi. :D

I've been lurking this forum for a little while. Drawn in specifically by the info on Recto cabs when I was researching them awhile back.

Anyway.... I'd like to start recording onto my laptop and I have no idea where to begin. I'd like to be able to mic my cab, plug straight in and use software emulation for guitar and bass, and I'd like to be able to either find or create drum tracks.

I really have no idea where to start. I see DAW listed alot, but I have no idea what the term means (or any other term for that matter. I picked up an mAudio USB interface awhile ago that came with what I assume is a basic copy of Pro Tools, but I got busy at work and haven't done much with it besides using it like a POD for practising through headphones.

I'm not really looking to make a home studio or anything, more looking for something that will allow me to quickly track ideas as they pop into my head, as well as build up those ideas into a complete song if I so desire.

Anyway, I'm open for suggestions.

Oh... and if anyone can point me at a forum dedicated to modern guitar music/gear it'd be appreciated.

DAW stands for Digital Audio Workstation -- like Pro tools, Reaper, Logic, Garage Band, etc. It's the software program used to edit music you record basically and mix with.

Use the search, there's tons of these threads created already. Just go to google and do something like "get started site:http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap-151/" or change up the keywords before the "site:" part. You may also want to check out these following pages too:
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/262441-useful-links-faq-please-read.html

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/547581-some-basic-rules-please-read.html

You have a pretty good start of equipment to start recording.
So are you saying you have a POD? Or are you Mic'ing your cab?

Here's probably what your signal chain will look like

Instrument/Guitar --> POD --> USB interface --> recorded into your DAW
or
Instrument/Guitar --> Mic your amp hooked up to your USB interface --> recorded into your DAW

As far as other sites, I may get flamed for it, but Sevenstring.org is a good site for beginners, depending on what kind of music your into. You'll find more assholes on those forums though. Gear slutz and gearwire are great music gear sites I frequent a lot too.

Just remember, this forum has been around a long time, learn to use the search function as well as searching this site from google and you will do just fine. Before you start a thread, check to make sure it hasn't been created. No need to start a new discussion for something that's already been discussed to death.

You have a pretty good start of equipment to start recording.
So are you saying you have a POD? Or are you Mic'ing your cab?

I've been plugging into my laptop and using the emulators in ProTools like it's a POD. It was meant to get comfortable with the program, but I haven't been home enough to get very far.

And I'd like to mic my cab. I'm probably going to buy an SM57 in a week or so... although I've also been looking at an E609.

As far as other sites, I may get flamed for it, but Sevenstring.org is a good site for beginners, depending on what kind of music your into. You'll find more assholes on those forums though. Gear slutz and gearwire are great music gear sites I frequent a lot too.

Cool. Traditionally I'm into sludge/stoner metal, however I just joined a new band and the other guitarist is getting me into more modern thrash.

Get an sm57 to start off with. Another good mic is an i5, but a 57 is more traditional, imo. Oh, and to answer your question for drums, the program I use is Toontrack EZDrummer w/ the DFH expansion. A lot of other people on here use Superior Drummer 2.0 with usually the kick and snare replaced by custom samples that you'll find floating around on here if you look hard enough. Sounds like you'll be happier just learning how to mic your amp. Just do a google search again for various mic'ing positions and try stuff out by dual or quad tracking your tracks w/ your mic at different angles and distances from your amp to find a good mixture of sound you're looking for.