What do the pros use for pop/hop/dance etc.

Philchef

Nov 2, 2009
Dortmund-Germany
www.myspace.,com
Hey,

Don't really know if this is a thread for the equip sub but i'm more interested in the plugins they use.
i came to this question while reading the thread of the best mixed song where someone (excuse me someone... to lazy to check who it was :saint:) mentioned lady gagas "bad romance"...
Which synths are used in big commercial productions? Do they use "normal" stuff like those NI plugs etc. ?
i guess "sound" is all about mixing and even with freeware synthies a chartsong maybe possibile if the mix and master fits...
but nevertheless....

i'm just a bit curious :)

Admittedly it's not easy finding that kinda info around here, being a forum mainly for guys into metal (and rock I suppose). Try Gearslutz, there's actually guys that produce that kind of music there (or at least mix it anyway, dunno if anyone produces it per se)
:)

if you can get hold of UKs Sound On Sound magazine, theyve had some recent number 1s in sucah as lady gaga, and they run through what was used on each element with screen shots of the session and plugs!

That would be interesting to see.

Most of those guys are ITB aren't they? They'd just be using the standard fare stuff. Sonnox, Waves, Soundtoys etc.

I know the guy who did her break-out single 'Just Dance' bussed some stuff out to the Distressor and SSL desk for more punch, but it was largely an ITB affair (sounds it too).

go to logic and load classic funk drum loop 3. - slow it down a litle bit
you now have Umbrella by Rhianna

Drum Loop 3
StormDrum
Goliath
Absynth
808 samples
(some type of Moog plugins)
Structure(Pro Tools)
Hybrid(Pro Tools)
Waves plugins

seems to be the backbone in commercial music today, including music scoring (particularly drum storm). I actually think the percussion to Bad Romance us actually StormDrum, not too sure though, but it sounds like it.

Ok...
the producer Gimel keaton (jay Z , Mary J Blige,Kanye West and Rihanna)
Drums : Empirical Labs distressor
Hardware/software processing, FX all that stuff : API550 , Digidesign Reverb one and waves renaissance EQ and C4
SSL desk Dynamics and EQ

For vocals he would occasionally use
Waves Fairchild 660 , ADL 1500
Focusrite 110EQ, Lexicon 480, TC Electronic D
Antares Auto tune

Geetar and Bass
digidesign eleven
Massey taphead
and again waves renaissance

none of this really means much to me but if you get some use out of it then i suppose its good :D