An idea to compare our techniques

Sure, I see two options here:
1. If you have miced guitars, live drums, bass and vocals the chance is very good that we will ditch our own tracks and use yours, because they are complete (you know, we are still missing vocals and a real bass).
2. If not, you can always post the tracks on another thread (like this one, where CrazyClown posted his tracks for mixing).

Well, the idea is I'm going to track bass to your song in post #1 and give you the tracks to include in your mix.

I was just checking to see that the tracks have not been updated since post #1 because it's not a good idea to record bass to the drums that aren't going to be used for the final mix, the timing will be slightly off.

I've got what i want to record set, I've just got to find the tone I'm looking for in this context.

Sounds good?

Well, the idea is I'm going to track bass to your song in post #1 and give you the tracks to include in your mix.

I was just checking to see that the tracks have not been updated since post #1 because it's not a good idea to record bass to the drums that aren't going to be used for the final mix, the timing will be slightly off.

I've got what i want to record set, I've just got to find the tone I'm looking for in this context.

Sounds good?
Sounds VERY GOOD!

Now that we have more people participating in this project, I guess I could talk my wife into singing some lines for us (hopefully this weekend), so we'll have vocals to mix, too.

okay I think I'm gonna get a little time for this this weekend. I'm preparing my Reaper with all the freebies on my laptop, and try something. I've taken my toneport GX and earplugs to be able to mix, finally ! Maybe tonight or tomorrow I'll have my first try. I haven't listened to you, in order not to be influenced.

An update, my DAW is having problems with synching my recorded audio to the tracks I dl'ed. My track gradually drifts further and further off time. I'm sure it's some kind of Sonar problem. I'll try to work it out this weekend between gigs.

I'm starting some stuff on reaper beta 3. It looks gorgeous for the moment.

I'm still loosing time on trying nick crow's new ampsims on the lespaul DI track :)

Just wanted to say that this thread made me try reaper (I'm on a mac and an avid PT user), and I have to say I'm very impressed. I think you guys are onto something with this program for sure.

Complete post :

- mp3 : http://dl.free.fr/pG9YMOGxU

- mixer :

- project file : http://dl.free.fr/rm.pl?h=otk0gzLXE&i=14751726&s=tk0gzLXEPkqNfHhdTBl32Gk4zdoVEhw3

explanation : I manly used the BootEqMkII EQ strip cause I fell in love with it. It's a EQ that seemed musical too me, and that's the first time I mix with only my ears and its really more interesting. I don't know if it sounds good but I had pleasure trying to tweak a round knob more than a curve.

I used also some comp, GranComp was my favourite one, I don't know if it was the one that sounds the best though.

I used the mda stereo cause it sounds great, compared to other stereo enhancer plugs. This one seems to work well on the overheads.

That's really a simple mix, I may tweak it more later.

LeSedna, your mix sounds a bit too "Rehearsal Room"-style to me. The drums are pretty far in the back (too much reverb?). the snare could be more compressed to even out the different levels of the individual hits. The guitars are a bit thin for my taste, but the longer I listen to them the more I like them. I love full low-mids in guitars, so maybe it's just my taste.
Although, I like the overall levels very much. Nothing is too loud or too low, that's good.
And yes, the BootEQMkII is one of the best free EQs I've heard. Could have more steep hipass filters, but the rest is cool.

Hum I'll have to fall into it again to get what you mean with the drums, I did it one shot and didnt take time to listen later. I thought this thread had disappeared in the abyss :)

howtodquantizedrums.jpg
Where do you get the Audio material for the overlap in picture 4 from? How do you go about editing if two hits on the same beat are not in sync (e.g. hihat and snare)? Can't cut/move all the tracks the same then... :confused: