Best VST plugins for mixing

X14Halo

May 28, 2010
I started recording some tracks with toontrack metal machine and my AXE FX II using reaper, and I was wondering if you could recommend some good plugins I can use in reaper to compress and EQ the tracks. Preferably ones that are noob friendly...Thanks!

digital fish phones has a pack of free vst's that are a great start, the bundled reaper plugins are really good, gvst has a bundle that is useful, gclip, ggate... The Stillwell plugins are really good too, free to try for an unlimited amount of time and very cheap to buy. Sonimus eq is a great free one as well.

:-D I like the term noob friendly... as mentioned... digital fishphones has great plugins: Dominion, which is pretty good transient designer and saturator (but I think it's windows only), and the fishfilets, whitch are very useful Noise gate, easy to use compressor and deesser. Also everything mentioned above. You might also try Antress plugins. Most of people say shit about them, but thats because they are comparing them with proffesional ultra expensive plugins. Considerred as Freeware they are cool...

I'm simply going to give you plugins that are considered best overall plugins.

Fabfilter Pro-Q or Sony Sonnox EQ, if you want to buy a good EQ for all tasks: FABFILTER PRO-Q
Softube compressors
Almost everything by Waves: L2, Puigtec EQ, all CLA plugins especially the 1176, SSL comps... too many to mention.
iZotope Ozone for mastering.

IF YOU WANT SUPERB FREE STUFF: Stillwell plugins. The Rocket is an 1176. Amazing! Pretty much everything they have are free to use an donationware. Bombardier is amazing for punch. Other good ones: 1973, Transient Monster, Event Horizon... just get them all.

:-D I like the term noob friendly... as mentioned... digital fishphones has great plugins: Dominion, which is pretty good transient designer and saturator (but I think it's windows only), and the fishfilets, whitch are very useful Noise gate, easy to use compressor and deesser. Also everything mentioned above. You might also try Antress plugins. Most of people say shit about them, but thats because they are comparing them with proffesional ultra expensive plugins. Considerred as Freeware they are cool...

Yeah, Antress aren't too great in comparison to the fancy plugins, especially when you talk about their modeling plugins, which, as far as I'm aware, don't really sound like what they're modeling. But they're still good plugins, just throw any conception of them sounding like their hardware counterparts out of the window.

I use the included ReaEQ and ReaComp when I do mixing. I'm not very experienced but they do work great :) Although i'm not sure if I like ReaComp that much.

And the Fabfilter Pro-Q looks FABULOUS :lol:

Stillwell plugin are not free? Not sure why you think they are.

Hmm.. I'm pretty sure some of them were donationware at some point. I don't use them anymore so can't really remember. Sorry for the wrong information.

Yeah, Antress aren't too great in comparison to the fancy plugins, especially when you talk about their modeling plugins, which, as far as I'm aware, don't really sound like what they're modeling. But they're still good plugins, just throw any conception of them sounding like their hardware counterparts out of the window.

Last edited by a moderator:
That actually sounds quite good, there's some subtle differences at high levels of gain reduction and something feels a little weird with the attack on the antress plugin, but hey sounds pretty cool none the less!

I'm loving antres stuff but I am using only moderncompressor because it allow parallel compression and Fl studio (yeah FL and I love it) require more effort for parallel compression that it should.
But what else about plugins, I suggest to use native EQ and Compressor, because they cost less CPU in DAW. Reaper got nice EQ and comp, so why you need someting else?
Only non-native plugins you should find is saturators, distortions, maybe reverb and delays (love FL studio native), and maybe some multi-band compressor and good limiter (if native doesn't have enough controll).