64-bit and VST plugins?

Hey fellas, Presonus finally released the drivers for the Fp10's so now i can actualy start to utilize my new W7 machine, or so i thought. Im running Home premium 64bit. I start up Cubase 5 load some plugins and get real erratic CPU spikes on the CPU meter. Is that becouse of a bit conflict?

Try this fix out man, I think your problem could be because of Windows7's core parking feature I mentioned in my previous post and this should fix that.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1852473&mpage=1

actually, heres a newer easier fix (the other link has a bit more info on the problem), see if it helps! http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1861804

Thanks for awesome info Jind and others!

I'll think it over when my album is finished. I'm sure as hell not switching over while in the middle of a work :)

And that there would be my number one recommendation - never make the switch until you have completed your current projects. While you can run both instances of Sonar on the same system (32bit and X64), and they do exist in their own folders and such, I'm sure it's the same with other DAW software as well since X64 programs get installed in the /program files folder while 32bit get installed in the /program files (x86) folder, It still gets a bit complicated maintaining both and would not want that hassle in the middle of a project. It's pretty easy once the deck is cleared, but before that - I'd wait.

i think some people are a bit mistaken about the size of the per-process memory limit in windows, which is 2gb, not 4gb.

given that all plugins are ran under the DAW process, you can very easily reach this 2gb limit.

this is why jbridge is awesome!

thanks,

I may have used it at first, but only some of the plugs worked.haha I don't know how it happened, since I installed 100 times, but after using a VST wrapper that Killdivision linked me too, ALL of the Waves Merc bundle started working with Sonar 8.5 64-bit. PM me if you want the link.

I'm finding from other posts on here that people are saying WAVES plugins DO work in Windows 7 64 bit (with 32 bit programs). The WAVES installer ran without a hitch and I installed Gold and Native Power Pack. I see a WAVES folder in Program Files (x86) with all the plugins. Interestingly, it didn't put anything in the VSTplugins folder.

I'm trying to use both Acid 7.0 and Sound Forge 10.0 as the host programs and neither will find the VST plugins. In Acid they appear in a 'failed' folder (only after I copied the DLL's to the VST plugin folder) and SoundForge refuses to acknowldedge that any WAVES plugins exist at all.

What am I doing wrong?

I've done the 'delete DXCache' suggestion from the registry. Still no luck.

Really need to get WAVES plugins working in Sound Forge.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I may have used it at first, but only some of the plugs worked.haha I don't know how it happened, since I installed 100 times, but after using a VST wrapper that Killdivision linked me too, ALL of the Waves Merc bundle started working with Sonar 8.5 64-bit. PM me if you want the link.

I finally helped someone:loco:

I'm still waiting to finish a project/band, after that I'm also going W7-64/Sonar8-64.

We should have a sticky about wich plugins are 64 bit.

Anyone else having problem with POD farm, I will insert it on a track and it just about peaks out my CPU, and im running a quad core machine

Does anyone have Waves plugs working with 64 Windows 7 and 32bit or 64bit Sonar? I have Drumagog working, but no Waves yet.

i got waves to work with sonar 8 ,on windows 7,,,,,,,on the 32 bit version of sonar 8 but not the 64 bit version and i cant figure out why

Argh really sorry i dont have time to read the thread now (will come back) so pretty sure youve been answered but thought id chime in anyway. I use windows 7 64 bits and i use to run 64 bit cubase 5. It was a nightmare with plugins.. Some companies are releasing 64 bits some not but for instance i had a lot of free plugins that i really like and they wouldnt run on 64 bit.. Now im not expecting these guys to release another version..

Then swicthed to 32bit cubase with windows 7 64 bit and everything works perfectly.

I've been stable now for awhile. Wanted to go x64 to see if the extra HW horsepower would translate into more stability in the overhead of system performance. yes and no lol. unfortunately my NLE video hardware from avid was discontinued from support prior to x64 so this machine is all audio now and post production since x64 won't handle the IO box for the avid liquid.

have been able to run without issues at 1.5ms on the RME using ASIO which I was unable to achieve with my prior HW.

The most noticeable thing is that some plugins are just resource hogs, even thru jbridge, I can see the overhead. When I stick to native x64 plugs my ASIO utilization is low, so when using 50/50 of native/thunked, performance is relatively stable <60% util.

w7x64
3.4ghz 6core AMD
16gb ram
RME 9652 fed by Yamaha 02R adat outs

cubase6 x64
jbridge for x32 porting
TC powercore fw
uad-1
focusrite liquidmix fw

i got waves to work with sonar 8 ,on windows 7,,,,,,,on the 32 bit version of sonar 8 but not the 64 bit version and i cant figure out why
waves does not support 64 bit. you should know that when you BOUGHT the plugins.

We were able to get waves going thru Jbridge on w7x64 on my friend's machine, also using steinberg. Cubase squalked about it, but once the plugin.jbridge was seen by the host it remains working. He runs MAC but owns the plugs, I run PC but own cubase x64; so we built a box for compat testing from my old NLE gear. Rather low power, but worked for validating basic instances. The harness only had 4gb memory so unsure if stability issues were caused by lack of performance overhead or jbridge thunking of waves into x64. Some of the plugs didn't like it at all, most of the old ones ran just fine with appropriate UI refresh.

I used Win7 x64, with Reaper x64, i5 760, 16gb of RAM and i don't have any problems with VST's. Apart from those Slate Cymbals crashing Kontakt 4.

I have a friend that runs a ton of 32 bit plugins in a 64bit version of Reaper with very few issues...that main gripe I've had using his computer when I'm at his house is that an extra window has to come up and you have to click on the plugin in the mixer window every time you want to change anything, whereas on my 32 bit computer once you bring up a plugin it stays on the screen until you close it.

@Plendakor
some of my waves plugin still crashes... Rcomp,SSL comp
i will prob going to sell those....
its not 100% workable still there are issues with 64bit :(
I have 16gb ram thats why i had to use 64bit..

I hated 64-bit plugins in Reaper. It was actually more of a hassle to deal with.

32-bit FTW.