Pros and Cons of Windows 7 64 bits for audio?

Scottxx

Apr 23, 2009
Do Lepou's and Onqel's amp sims work in 64 bits systems ?

I ask this because I want to take advantage of more than 3.25 Gb, but still use the best sims out there. That's because I'm building a new PC and don't know if there are more benefits using 64 bits or stay with 32. I own a Saffire PRO 24 and I will work in Reaper.

No cons I've found after a couple months. I don't run REAPER in 64 bit version. AdamWathan doesn't either (I asked him last week).
I only have 4GB of RAM fwiw. Most of the mixes i've done in REAPER have been really stable even running at 64 samples.

At least with my Fireface 400, some channels occasionally lock up (no sound and no signal in Firefacemix), until I manually open the Fireface Settings program. After opening, there's a short pop and the channel works again. Usually this happens when I run two different sources at the same time, such as Foobar2000 (music player) on Analog 7+8 while watching Youtube videos with system default on Analog 1+2. The reason I don't have them in the same channel is because Windows 7 does some strange sidechain compression ducking if two different sources play at the same time in the same channel. When I split them up, it doesn't happen.

Other than that, no real problems. Except I still haven't tested multichannel playback while recording multiple channels too. In the summer, I had problems with Win 7 64 and Reaper 64 in this situation. I was playing live backing tracks (7 tracks) while recording 3 tracks (vox, guitar DI, audience mic), but the playback started to cut off every 10-20 seconds for 100 ms or so. Strangely the recorded tracks did not have any cut offs.

Thanks for the info guys! Anyone with more recommendations can help me a lot. I'm thinking to run Win 7 64 bits and Reaper 64 bits and still working with all vst that I use in Windows xp sp3 32 bits.

I'm highly interested in your move Scottxx since I just bought a new computer that will come in a few days and will be running W7 64 bits and Reaper 64bits too. If everything works perfectly I don't see why I should stick to 32 bits especially because of the 3.25Gb limitation of RAM.

I've been using Sonar 8.5 PE x64 on a Windows 7 x64 install and I've yet to find an amp sim that will not work either over Sonar's BitBridge or the third party app JBridge.

No cons I've found after a couple months. I don't run REAPER in 64 bit version. AdamWathan doesn't either (I asked him last week).
I only have 4GB of RAM fwiw. Most of the mixes i've done in REAPER have been really stable even running at 64 samples.

i installed both, two icons right next to each other. bounce back and forth as necessary. win!

uh oh... why?

Mine has been acting like a bitch lately, especially with reaper.

DAWBench had a hand in it :)

But mostly because I was using Reaper over Logic more and more, and was not getting any benefit from running a Hackintosh anymore. I was bored one day and figured I'd just rebuild my machine, so I did. Built it up as a 64bit Win7 machine, and it's running very smoothly.

I run Reaper x64 on Windows 7 x64, no reason not to run it in 64 mode that I know of..all 32bit plugins run in the x64 one..

Anyone want to tell me the advantages of using the 32bit/x86 version?

nex666 you dig exactly the point. What I want to have not problems with is 32 bits vsts specially guitar soft with Reaper 64 bits and Win 7 64 bits.

nex666 you dig exactly the point. What I want to have not problems with is 32 bits vsts specially guitar soft with Reaper 64 bits and Win 7 64 bits.
Yeah personally I've never had a VST not work in Reaper x64, even 32 bit ones. Doesn't mean other people haven't had problems.

But I use all sorts of free/bought vsts (mostly the free side), but the usual amp emus, few of the mokafix ones, steven slate drums, kefir, all sorts of stuff..