Audio interface - Rock solid in Win 7 64-bit?

Cognition

Metal
Oct 25, 2009
Norway
My EMU 0404USB audio interface only has beta drivers for Win 7 64-bit, and lately I've been having far more crashes than what seems reasonable, and the crash dumps without exception cite the EMU driver as the cause. I'd like to try another audio interface in case that will solve the issue.

I use Cakewalk Sonar Producer Edition (8.5 / X1) 64-bit and Windows 7 64-bit Home edition.

Strictly speaking I don't need more than 2 simultaneous inputs. My concern is proven stability in Windows 7 (and Sonar, if possible).

I've heard praise for the Profire 610 on this forum, but am concerned about whether it would work well with my onboard Firewire connection, being that I've heard rumours anything other than Texas Instruments chipsets can be unstable. Also, I'd rather buy one of the cheaper interfaces, unless stability and audio quality is unbeatable in the more expensive units.

I've been looking in particular at these interfaces:
  • £139 - Focusrite Saffire 6
  • £144 - M-Audio Fast Track Pro
  • £146 - Cakewalk UA-25EX
  • £245 - M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
  • £259 - M-Audio Profire 610

Thanks for the recommendation! Are you using it in Win 7 64-bit?

I was actually initially considering the Saffire 6 as well initially, although it was the only interface not supporting Sample Rates higher than 48KHz. I'm always recording in 44KHz anyway, though. The other interfaces support up to 96KHz (which I've never used). Might have to reconsider the Saffire 6, as it is among the cheaper interfaces...