BSODs Galore

Melodeath

Moonbow
Feb 6, 2004
Northern VA
So I installed Windows 7 Home premium 64-bit on my new i7 15" MBP (Macbook Pro) yesterday using Boot Camp, and I've already had about seven or so BSODs.

One of the first things I did after I installed Windows 7 was install the driver for my firewire audio interface (Liquid Saffire 56). After I installed the driver, I plugged in the interface to the MBP, and turned it on. Once it was on, I immediately got a BSOD similar to this:

BSOD_10D.jpg

I restarted the computer and tried to use it as normal. I installed various programs to get back up and running with a workable audio system, and I periodically got more BSODs. I looked at the Minidump files and Windows debug tools indicated the stop error was probably caused by wdf01000.sys.

The BSODs didn't seem to happen when the Saffire was turned off.
Since the interface seemed like it was the culprit, I tried a different firewire audio interface (M-Audio profire 2626).
This Profire produced BSODs as well, but they were different. This time, the BSODs were more specific and said SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION and had a code of 3B instead of 10D. It also indicated the "wdf01000.sys" process again. This Minidump I did not have "permission" to look at with the Windows debugging tools.

This system is completely unworkable, and I need to get the Windows portion of my new MBP working well. It's completely unstable as is.
Does anyone have any serious advice? Are there known firewire issues with Windows 7 64-bit? Or is this a hardware or driver issue with the MBP or Boot Camp? I need to be able to use my audio software in Windows without BSODs.

Anyone had these issues or heard of them? On my desktop PC (which has since died, and is why I bought the MBP), the Profire 2626 would give me BSODs all the time, but the Liquid Saffire 56 was rock solid. That was Windows XP Professional 32-bit, though, not Windows 7 64-bit. I'm quite disappointed I'm still getting BSODs with a completely new computer, and Windows 7.

Thanks

damn that sucks dude=/

I have nothing useful to add to this, unfortunately, but i did get the recurring BSOD 3 days ago, forcing me to completely reinstall my operating system. I didn't lost anything important, but it's been a pain in the ass to completely reinstall pro tools, patches, plugins, updates, drivers, as well as reprogramming all of my keyboard macros.

I didn't get my Profire 2626 working either in Bootcamp when I tried it ages ago in Vista 64-bit, it'd only output sound properly for about 10 seconds and then turn into bitcrushed mess. I read it was because the M-audio drivers didn't support Bootcamp in any way at least back then. I didn't really care; all I would've used it for would've been some free amp sims. I removed my Bootcamp partition a good while back too because I hadn't booted into it in over a year.

Goddamn, that's crazy :(
I've had Vista since well, Vista has been around and I've never had a BSOD once in that entire time. I don't know if that's just me having good luck so far though

:/ I have not seen a BSOD since Windows 2000..

Why did you get a Mac if your primary OS will be Windows, though?

This ^^^ I'm with Morgan C - Win 7 x64, Vista x64, and Windows XP prior to that were all pretty damned rock solid once I got my systems customized to my needs - but the key component was that they were systems designed to run those operating systems natively.

I'm not a MAC hating PC loving freak, but if I bought a MAC, I'd focus on using native software on it - I like my computing to be as hassle free as possible as I've dealt with PC/MAC problems long enough at work that I like stability at home :)

:/ I have not seen a BSOD since Windows 2000..

Why did you get a Mac if your primary OS will be Windows, though?

Because my previous DAW was Sonar, which is PC only. SO to open or finish any previous projects, I need Sonar and all my old plugins.

I plan to switch DAWs ultimately and use OSX, but I have to be able to go back and work on old projects (PC-only)

Because my previous DAW was Sonar, which is PC only. SO to open or finish any previous projects, I need Sonar and all my old plugins.

I plan to switch DAWs ultimately and use OSX, but I have to be able to go back and work on old projects (PC-only)

Fair enough. Can you not use the inbuilt soundcard to finish off the other projects (is it just mixing?)?

Well, I need to be able to hook it up to my monitors. Using the in-built soundcard adds a whole bunch of complications it seems to me. Getting tons of BSODs with Boot Camp can't be normal can it? It seems to be only when a firewire device is attached

All I've got is an OEM XP disc, so I'd have to buy XP from somewhere. Plus, it might stoll not work, and I would have wasted $180 buying Windows 7 anyway :(

Forgot to mention this:
To install an iLok you have to download the Client Helper, then the Driver. You install the Helper, then the driver, then restart your comp, then plug in the iLok and it installs the driver automatically. While my iLok driver was automatically installing after I plugged it in, I got a BSOD. I tried reinstalling the client helper, then the driver helper then plugged in in the iLok again and again I got a BSOD. I then unplugged the Focusrite interface and re-tried the iLok setup, and everything worked. So it seems the issue must be firewire related.

What about opening your pc and pulling the drives and running them external into someone elses pc that has sonar....If you can do that, just export all your projects and load them in your new DAW on osx

I can open Sonar, it's just not a stable system I would feel comfortable mixing on. Sure I can export audio files, but the issue is plugin settings, time, etc. That would be months of works just transferring all my Sonar projects to a new DAW.

99% of blue screens are caused by drivers. Is the system stable in safe mode? When you load the debugger you need to run as administrator or disable UAC. Stuff in the C:\Windows is protected by default, copy it to your desktop and run from there. Make sure you have symbol paths loaded too, it won't do that for you. One last thing to check, grab a util like Core Temp and make sure your not running too hot. Speedpaths can cause all sorts of anomalies.

Strangely enough, I used my Boot Camp partition for a few hours last night to play some Steam games with no issues at all. I had the Saffire hooked up, and there were no BSODs.

The only difference between yesterday and the day with BSODs, was that the crashing day involved me installing lots of stuff, while last night all I was doing was using the system.

sprack, thanks for those tips. How do I get Symbol Paths? I saw mention of it that my symbols were wrong, but I didn't know how to fix it. Also, do you think the issue could be Apple's firewire driver for Boot Camp? If so, aren't I kind of stuck? If I update drivers for my hardware in Windows, isn't it possible Boot Camp will stop working? Or are you suggesting it's the audio interface drivers?

Short answer. SRV*c:\websymbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
Here's the link symbol path.

Its not likely that installing new drivers will screw with bootcamp since that's a change to EFI that fakes BIOS and allows you to boot from MBR rather than GUID. Since windows update parses the PCI tree and SMBIOS to determine the hardware it will know you're running on a mac and load WHQL drivers for the hardware. The only thing that could fuck your system is if you fdisk the drive inside of windows.

Disable the device in device manager and then re-enable. If you BSOD you definitely have a driver causing it. Check the dump file first though, they are very accurate these days.