64-bit and VST plugins?

Anyone know if DAWs/Plugins can take advantage of dual/quad multicore CPUs extra processing power when running 32bit XP?

Uhm... yeah, they should be? I don't think that has anything to do with if you're running 32 or 64-bit really... it just depends on if the DAW can utilize the multi-cores, which I guess most DAWs can? :)

Anyone know if DAWs/Plugins can take advantage of dual/quad multicore CPUs extra processing power when running 32bit XP?

The host/DAW can make the plugins run on separate cores if it support multicore.. but there is no internal multiprocessing going on internally in the plugins ..

really? there's vista 64 drivers for that interface: http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.drivers&f=961

Maybe you should contact support

Nah, I'm too lazy for that since I only use Vista for gaming currently. I'm going to change to 32bit Vista because of that too, most games have really annoying loading times because I'm running 64bit, e.g. every first start of HL2's different episodes take about 15 minutes to get to the main screen, after the first start it becomes normal though. And that's a common problem too, I googled it because I thought HL2 didn't work at first, but it was actually loading normally :lol:.

I've reinstalled the drivers a couple times and it doesn't help. I mean, when I play back audio, it works normally for about a minute, then changes into a bitcrushed mess and shortly after that, audio is totally gone.

If it doesn't work on Vista 32bit either, I'm probably gonna contact support. I just think they don't officially even support bootcamp, so I'm guessing I'd just get that as an answer...

jBridge sounds interesting but I would never consider adapting even more softwares just to bypass existing problems... it's not a good solution. Stuff like that always has some issues, no matter how good it seems to be... :| I would love to be wrong though!

I've been on Win 7 x64 with Sonar Producer 8.5.x for quite some time now using as many native x64 plug-ins that I can, but many of the ones that I still use are 32 bit so I depend on the internal BitBridge capabilities into Sonar, and for the few that that does not resolve, I've been using JBridge for and it works just fine. Cakewalk was kind enough to build in support for JBridge in that you do not have to do anything to take advantage of it - you just need to purchase it for $20 or whatever it costs. Bridging has caused me no noticible latency, performance problems, or other issues, it's only solved a few compatibility issues such as with Toontrack products and Sonar's native BitBridge. While I also maintain a 32 bit install of Sonar Producer on my system, I can honestly say I have not gone to it for anything other than for the rare need for REX support and I think once I wanted to use a DXi plug-in, both of which are not available in x64.

I've got Windows 7 64 bit, 6 GB RAM and Presonus Studio One 32b. Everything is going well. I can load many huge VSTis, and my RAM is managed properly (I had a session with over 4GB samples loaded into RAM). Every VST plugin works great, and this DAW is more stable than Nuendo 3 on Windows XP SP3 32.

So basically you can use a 64 bit OS well but it isn't recommended to get a 64bit DAW (using a 32 bit DAW instead) just yet?

Like I said - I use Sonar x64 and have very rarely had to load my 32bit version. As always, your mileage may vary.

weird

i recently moved outright to win 7 64 bit and 64 bit reaper
it works perfectly with no crashes and all my old 32 bit plugins installed perfectly and work fine in a bridged format.
stuff like Nexus, ozone , superior, xenon, freeverb, adventus, and everything amp sim and cab sim related just pulled straight over and worked flawless,

I've been on Win 7 x64 with Sonar Producer 8.5.x for quite some time now using as many native x64 plug-ins that I can, but many of the ones that I still use are 32 bit so I depend on the internal BitBridge capabilities into Sonar, and for the few that that does not resolve, I've been using JBridge for and it works just fine. Cakewalk was kind enough to build in support for JBridge in that you do not have to do anything to take advantage of it - you just need to purchase it for $20 or whatever it costs. Bridging has caused me no noticible latency, performance problems, or other issues, it's only solved a few compatibility issues such as with Toontrack products and Sonar's native BitBridge. While I also maintain a 32 bit install of Sonar Producer on my system, I can honestly say I have not gone to it for anything other than for the rare need for REX support and I think once I wanted to use a DXi plug-in, both of which are not available in x64.

The only problem I've had on Win7x64 was with superior. I tried the demo version of JBridge with it, but it wouldn't work on my system, JBridge would just give me an error and then crash Sonar. However the beta x64 version of superior seems to work well, I've had no problems with it so far. Other than that its been working fine.

Also if you're going for Windows7, you might want to read up on this core parking issue.

Core Parking is VERY bad for DAW's - great for non-DAW Laptops - but very bad for us in the DAW world.

See here for a bit of info / explanation / more info about CPU Core Parking - http://channel9.msdn.com/forums/Coffeehouse/453920-Windows-7-on-more-than-4-cores/
Without the following " fix " you will see massive CPU spiking in Sonar and Windows Task Manager - some CPU cores will be "turned off" / "parked" depending on load and they will be dynamically turned on or off and dynamically loaded up or down as the system deems necessary - the scope for glitchs / pops / clicks / droputs etc.... in such an environment is simply enormous.
http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1852473&mpage=1

erkan, i came here to mention jbridge, i can't believe you think it's a bad idea!! D:

even if you don't want to use 64bits, it's still good as a 32bit -> 32bit bridge.

why? memory. on a 32bit system, you have a per process limit of 2gb, no matter what. jbridge can sort of bypass this, by running each plugin in it's own process.

this has more advantages than just more memory. if a plugin crashes, it's not going to take down the entire DAW. also, the plugin work becomes threaded, so VST overload may become less likely.

anyways, if i had more than 2gb of ram, i'd certainly use it, if only for superior and kontact..

thanks,

I'm a total n00b regarding this, so can anyone explain to me what is better with a 64bit DAW and 64bit plugins?

All 32-bit applications have a limit on the amount of memory they can access - this limit is 4GB. So after system memory has been accounted for, the most memory an app can use is 4GB. But, and it's a big but, a 64-bit application’s memory usage is essentially unlimited.

This is most important when using plug-ins with large sample libraries such as Spectrasonics or even something like Trillian Bass which has, as an example, a single bass that contains over 21,000 samples - now imagine the size of all those files.

64 bit operating systems are not limited in the amount of RAM they can access - the only essential limitation now is the motherboard and what it can support.

The main problem with going completely 64 bit is that it still has not been widely adopted by the various plug-in manufacturers thus it still requires the use of a bridging app to run the remaining 32 bit plug-ins you need in your productions. Some folks have bit the bullet and simply refused to use any 32 bit plugs and are just finding alternatives that are fully 64bit. I however am not one of them - I use bridging that came with Sonar as well as the third party JBridge product and have had next to zero issues. Add to that the ability to load large sample and for me it was a pretty easy choice.

All 32-bit applications have a limit on the amount of memory they can access - this limit is 4GB. So after system memory has been accounted for, the most memory an app can use is 4GB. But, and it's a big but, a 64-bit application’s memory usage is essentially unlimited.

This is most important when using plug-ins with large sample libraries such as Spectrasonics or even something like Trillian Bass which has, as an example, a single bass that contains over 21,000 samples - now imagine the size of all those files.

64 bit operating systems are not limited in the amount of RAM they can access - the only essential limitation now is the motherboard and what it can support.

The main problem with going completely 64 bit is that it still has not been widely adopted by the various plug-in manufacturers thus it still requires the use of a bridging app to run the remaining 32 bit plug-ins you need in your productions. Some folks have bit the bullet and simply refused to use any 32 bit plugs and are just finding alternatives that are fully 64bit. I however am not one of them - I use bridging that came with Sonar as well as the third party JBridge product and have had next to zero issues. Add to that the ability to load large sample and for me it was a pretty easy choice.

Winning quote!

Yeah due to the ability of 64 bit OS to let the appz use more than "4 Gb" of ram it really does make a difference when you are using large sample libraries... Since I switched to 64 bit OS I can load full sections of orchestra without any complain from Reaper (in the past I was forced to load a section, say Violins, with all the articulations, write the part, bounce to audio, move on)... Now the limit is the processing of cpu's due to the power needed to let all that stuff work together :D

Hey fellas, Presonus finally released the drivers for the Fp10's so now i can actualy start to utilize my new W7 machine, or so i thought. Im running Home premium 64bit. I start up Cubase 5 load some plugins and get real erratic CPU spikes on the CPU meter. Is that becouse of a bit conflict?