32 bit plugins in a session with 64 bit DAW/64 bit plugins

Plendakor

Oct 30, 2010
After reading a reply by JeffTD in the X50 2.0 thread, I was wondering if anyone would have a technical explanation of why running everything in either 32 or 64 only.

My only 32 bit plugin is Addictive Drums and I'm wondering if that can induce lag/problems.

Is bridging to be avoided ?

I run 64bit REAPER on Windows 7 x64 and avoid bridging plugins like the plague. I hate the little bridged window they pop up in and it just feels ghetto.

That being said you can bridge addictive drums and I'm sure it will be fine. If you can have the choice obviously go 64bit, but if AD is only 32bit and that's what you use then fuck it, bridge away :kickass:

Edit: I thought Addictive Drums was 64bit by now though isn't it? I don't use it but I can't see a company like that still stuck in 32bit land.

It only shows up in 32 in Reaper on my computer, I'll have to take a deeper look at that issue; thanks!

Sometimes 32 & 64 bit plugins have the exact same name, and if both versions are installed, only the 32-bit plugin (x86)
shows up in Reaper's plugin list as a new plugin. It used to be like this before, not sure about nowadays.

If that's the case, just add e.g. 'x64' in the 64-bit plugin's .dll name, and it'll show up as a new separate plugin in the list.
I used to do that couple of years ago, when I needed to have 32-bit versions in FL Studio & 64-bit versions in Reaper.

Actually, I'm just a fucking idiot.
I forgot to add the Addictive Drum from "C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins" and only had the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VstPlugins"
lol (formatted recently..)

Now, will having everything x64 speed things up ? (By that I mean force less)

the little bridged window they pop up in and it just feels ghetto.

This can be remedied by opening the FX list in Reaper, right-click the plugin, and chose "Embed Bridge UI" or something along those lines. This will open the plugin like normal without the extra window.

I run 32-bit Reaper because the latest version of 64 was all bugged out for me, for some reason.

It seems that 32-bit Reaper runs a bit slower in 64-bit Windows compared to matching 64.

In reaper it should decrease the amount of resources you are using. If you are on windows try this...

Open a 64 bit Reaper session with all 64 bit plugs. Now hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and bring up task manager. Look at the processes.

You will see one instance of Reaper.

Now insert one 32 bit plug and look at processes.

You will see two instances of reaper. Which in turn consumes more resources.

This can be remedied by opening the FX list in Reaper, right-click the plugin, and chose "Embed Bridge UI" or something along those lines. This will open the plugin like normal without the extra window.

I run 32-bit Reaper because the latest version of 64 was all bugged out for me, for some reason.

It seems that 32-bit Reaper runs a bit slower in 64-bit Windows compared to matching 64.

This is true...but some plugins will have graphical issues from time to time.

Additionally, it does not remedy the additional process required to run mixed 32bit or 64 bit plugs.

It has been my experience that a lot of 64 bit plugs have a 32 bit counterpart....though that is probably changing as time moves forward.

The only thing 64bit allows is better/more memory usage. You are probably best served by running whatever version you can load up all of the same bit plugs into.

[Prime];10800216 said:
In reaper it should decrease the amount of resources you are using. If you are on windows try this...

Open a 64 bit Reaper season with all 64 bit plugs. Now hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and bring up task manager. Look at the processes.

You will see one instance of Reaper.

Now insert one 32 bit plug and look at processes.

You will see two instances of reaper. Which in turn consumes more resources.

No shit, I'll have to try this. This could very well be the reason my PC has been bogged down with barely any FX running while I have a beast computer.