Optomizing Windows 7 64 bit for recording...

GabeFry

Apr 18, 2008
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!! Just picked up a new HP Laptop with Windows 7 64 bit, and I've been running it with Reaper (in which i'm new too) and I'm running alot of plugins on my project. My CPU is peaking (which is a 2.2 ghz AMD) but I have 8 gigs of ram (in which only 2.5 or so are being used at this point). I'm not a computer genious, but I was curious if there is a way I might be able to have that excess of ram help carry the load of the CPU. And or if there is a way I might be able to optomize the system for recording. When i'm recording I always turn all of the visual effects off, and run it in the best performance settings. But it's just barely not enough. I notice when I bypass probably about 5 plugins, I can listen back without it sounding sluggish, and skippy.

All the best, and thanks so much for the incite.

The main one to do is set priority to Background services rather than Programs. Windows has a strange way of managing resources.

The secondary stuff is to set a custom virtual memory size, that won't adjust itself on the fly.

Thirdly you can go through and cherry pick which services you don't need. I've heard WLAN can really add some latency to a system.

in⋅cite  [in-sahyt]
Use incite in a Sentence
–verb (used with object), -cit⋅ed, -cit⋅ing.
to stir, encourage, or urge on; stimulate or prompt to action: to incite a crowd to riot.