What some good free eqs plugins?

Vin71

New Metal Member
Oct 7, 2012
I think I need a some more eq plugins, I only have some free ones that came from my daw, just wondering if theres any better ones suited for giutars and stuff out there?

ReaEQ...in fact, the ReaFX are quite good, don't let the lack of fancy UI deceive you.

+1 for ReaEQ, very clean

if you want some color, look at Antress, Bootsy, and Stillwell Audio (not free, but unlimited/unrestricted demo). Between those, you'll have plenty of bases covered and no need to get anything commercial in my opinion.

I have a bunch that came as part of various bundles and I'm still using the stock EQ in my DAW.

Yep. Me too. Sometimes I use a different EQ as an insert after I used up all bands of the DAW's EQ, but mainly just the stock EQ.

I usually just chuck another stock EQ as the next insert! :D I sometimes use the EQ in the SSL channel strip to keep the number of plug-ins in my sessions down, but thats because I like the compressor.

what are you trying to achieve? what daw do you have? I tend to look at eq 2 different ways. Surgical (generally subtractive). Color (Generally Boosting). This is by no means scientific, i just picture it that way in my head. Always come back to Digi iii, the pro tools stock for surgical, and unless im going for a specific sound I still like the waves renaissance stuff. Eq and Comp. Its not really colored but it adds something the Digi iii doesnt. If I know the sound im after I will use it. Example maybe i want that API eq "crack" on a snare so i will use it. I once seen something online where someone used the digi iii the emulate classic eq's and it was really interesting. I will see if i can dig it up.

hope this helps. \m/\m/

I have a bunch that came as part of various bundles and I'm still using the stock EQ in my DAW.
Honestly I find the stock eq's in any DAW are fine.

I've decided not to mess with 'superior' stuff while I still suck at mixing. Why? Because it is not going to do much for me, if I do not understand why it is superior, so if one is really at a point of asking which EQ is good, they should probably use whatever there is in the daw, meanwhile ear training, practicing and reading mixing literature, so once experienced, they'll realize what they need and of course if they really need anything better :)

Also, it's nice to mention that some stock EQs come with many optimizations to work with a specific DAW, like ReaEQ, for example, you can have 20 bands in it and it still won't do terrible things to your processor :D

A good way to test EQ is to put a song in your DAW, with a kickass sound that covers all the spectrum.
I do this with a pop song for more clarity.
Than put all your eqz on that track bypassed.
Boost them all at the same frequency (high freq so you can hear well 3-7 khz) with the same narrow Q I mean a good boost +10 dB or something.
Put a loop on a section of the song and listen by unbypassing one at a time.
Now the difference should be pretty obvious.
Don't need to be a pro to hear the difference.
Some will sound terrible and some should sound more tolerable or pleaseant.

As stated by Studdy we tend to boost with nice sounding EQ:
what are you trying to achieve? what daw do you have? I tend to look at eq 2 different ways. Surgical (generally subtractive). Color (Generally Boosting).

Try Pushtec from Leftover Lasagna (free). Pull-tec type EQ are known for having pleaseant highs when boosted.

Try Pushtec from Leftover Lasagna (free). Pull-tec type EQ are known for having pleaseant highs when boosted.

I totally forgot about that beauty! I use my UAD Pultec now, but before that, the Pushtec was my goto. I occasionally open old sessions with that still on there. It's surprisingly good for an OLD freebie