What do you guys think of this tone?

I think this sounds GREAT coming from my pc speakers. No complaints.
I'm new to recording with DAW also and am curious about your setup.
What mic pre and soundcard or interface are you using?

Radd said:
I think this sounds GREAT coming from my pc speakers. No complaints.
I'm new to recording with DAW also and am curious about your setup.
What mic pre and soundcard or interface are you using?

Thanks man! My guitar rig is really good, but my recording setup sucks! I'm using a Sennheiser E609 mic, an M-Audio DMP-3 mic preamp, the stock soundcard in my computer, and a free recording program called Kristal. :cry:

Mark_Palangio said:
Thanks man! My guitar rig is really good, but my recording setup sucks! I'm using a Sennheiser E609 mic, an M-Audio DMP-3 mic preamp, the stock soundcard in my computer, and a free recording program called Kristal. :cry:

Kristal??? LOL... PIMP JUICE!!! :headbang:

Haha, yeah Kristal does rule. Is there anything I can get that's better for free? I got my Engl off of Ebay, but it was originally bought from DerekB at Rock Solid Amps in Florida.

Mark_Palangio said:
Haha, yeah Kristal does rule. Is there anything I can get that's better for free? I got my Engl off of Ebay, but it was originally bought from DerekB at Rock Solid Amps in Florida.

Never heard of it, but actually...

http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/

This looks like a pretty damn good solution if you're a PC user who's stuck without GarageBand. I mean, it's total n00b-ware, but still, seems to have good basic features and a clean UI.

Kazrog said:
Never heard of it, but actually...

http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/

This looks like a pretty damn good solution if you're a PC user who's stuck without GarageBand. I mean, it's total n00b-ware, but still, seems to have good basic features and a clean UI.

Yeah it's nice considering it's free. Would a better recording program have better sound quality? I'm thinking maybe just the EQ and stuff may be better, and more tweakable?

My god! This quality sounds almost as good as a 1,000 + setup!
I'm just a newbie though so what do I know?
It sounds like 2 tracks. I wonder how much better it would sound with 4.
2 of the same in each channel.
I'm also wondering if the quality will decrease when more tracks and instruments are added.
Could this be where a more higher end pre and sound card or interface make a major difference?

Radd said:
My god! This quality sounds almost as good as a 1,000 + setup!
I'm just a newbie though so what do I know?
It sounds like 2 tracks. I wonder how much better it would sound with 4.
2 of the same in each channel.
I'm also wondering if the quality will decrease when more tracks and instruments are added.
Could this be where a more higher end pre and sound card or interface make a major difference?

Haha, well I appreciate the compliment man, but I don't think it sounds that good. The tone is way better in person, recording is a whole diffrent story though. It was 2 tracks, I might try using 4 when I record the whole song, I dunno. I would be happy if I had another mic, and a better soundcard and recording program.

I think your tone is great, reminds me of Morbid Angel. Very dark tone though, I would do something for it to cut throught the mix better.
If you want to get better eq's etc. you don't need to buy some expensive programs. Kristal supports VST so you can get free plugins from www.kvraudio.com . There's almost everything you can imagine and most of the plugs are free.

t_m_h said:
I think your tone is great, reminds me of Morbid Angel. Very dark tone though, I would do something for it to cut throught the mix better.
If you want to get better eq's etc. you don't need to buy some expensive programs. Kristal supports VST so you can get free plugins from www.kvraudio.com . There's almost everything you can imagine and most of the plugs are free.

Thanks for the compliment man, it's funny that you say my tone is dark though. My cabinet is honestly ear piercingly bright. In that clip I had the treble on 11 o clock and the presence on 9 o clock. I'm actually looking to get a darker sounding cab, like a Mesa. Thanks for those plugin's too man, I'll definitely check those out!