What do you think of this guitar tone?

Yeah - sounds big and well defined. To me it sounds a "little digital" however..but thats just me - what was the source? And by Quadtracked you mean - two guitars (same part)left , two guitars (same part)right or 4 guitars (same part)centre?

cheers :headbang:

Source was the Direct out of my HD147.

and yeah two left, two right.

5150 --right, Mesa Dual --left

my next experiment will be this same thing mic'd up with a single 57 on my V30 and two 57's (fredman? style) on another V30 in my Marshall cab.
going to do this later today...a fter i wake up.

Granted that the guitars are mostly playing the same thing... wouldn't that defeat the illusion of guitarist 1 on the left and guitarist 2 on the right?

Thats what I was trying to go for, anyway... thats what i would want to do with two guitars doing with different phrasing of parts anyway...

but i guess for straight rhythm that might make it sound better...

Granted that the guitars are mostly playing the same thing... wouldn't that defeat the illusion of guitarist 1 on the left and guitarist 2 on the right?

Thats what I was trying to go for, anyway... thats what i would want to do with two guitars doing with different phrasing of parts anyway...

but i guess for straight rhythm that might make it sound better...

The differences in the playing will separate the 2 sides nicely. Different amps on each side might sound too unbalanced. What Neb said is the usual way of doing the 2 amp thing.

I am interested in hearing this.

I flaked on that today... I was having too much fun with DFH... that program really got my creative juices flowing for whatever reason... I used to play drums before I picked up guitar, I guess that why it made me happy, lol.

I'll definitely do that by Sunday, though... My band has an acoustic show on Saturday that we haven't practiced for (yay! :erk: )...

anyway... yeah. I'll get on that.

The differences in the playing will separate the 2 sides nicely. Different amps on each side might sound too unbalanced. What Neb said is the usual way of doing the 2 amp thing.

REALLY? I could have swore that I hear one guitar part on each side of my headphones 9 times out of ten... damnit, now I'm going to obsess over it for the rest of the time I'm at work tonight... lol.

Don't get me wrong. I was only referring to the Recto 100 L/R and 5150 80/80. Even with the same riffs played on both L and R sides, the differences in the playing, "the illusion of guitarist 1 on the left and guitarist 2 on the right?" would still be there. "with two guitars doing with different phrasing of parts" obviously sounds like one guitarist each side, but i was just trying to say that, even with the same guitar sound each side (eg.; combo of Recto and 5150) and same riffs being played there will still be some differences in the playing that result in "the illusion of guitarist 1 on the left and guitarist 2 on the right" without the need for 2 distinctly different amp-sounds where one side might sound fuller than the other and grab more attention. When I listen to older Slayer for instance, I don't know if it's my imagination or not, but Kerry King's side always sounds more in your face with more mids, whereas Jeff's side is more scooped and I focus on 1 side more than the other which is what I meant by "unbalanced" earlier. So Slayer must have had a different tone left and right, or it was my old car speakers providing the different sounds per side. :lol:

I get what you're saying... and now I have to try it. lol.

I think the two tones I have go pretty well with each other... I'm looking into buying either a jSX or 6560(+?) and/or a Dual rec... I was looking into Krank, but i dont know how versatile they are...

I don't know either, I am still trying to figure that out. :lol:

What sounds good/awesome in the store sounds totally different with a mic in front of it. In the room the amp is quite versatile, recorded it sounds different, not saying it's not versatile recorded, just sounds quite different than the room sound so I still have much more to learn and tweak.

True. True. True.

which is why I posted a 6505/+/jSX topic on the main forum...

If I like something in the store and take it to my studio, i may not like the recorded sound or the sound in general anymore... I've heard of this happening and would like to avoid it at all costs...

Check this out:

"Moving on to the notes...PODxt models were BigBottom on the left, Criminal on the right, two tracks each. I would have mixed it up, having one of each on either side, but after we were finished tracking guitars I found out he played different things on either side...bummer"

by elephant audio, talk about coincidence, from here:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/rate-my-mix-tone-threads/300957-been-while.html