What does Opeth and Dissection have in common?

Kirkfjell

Sep 2, 2003
Brämhult, Sweden
Visit site
Ave...

Just browsed through Dissections official homepage and got very surprised when I found a link to www.opeth.com among the obscure, satanic, anti-cosmic bands (such as, Watain, Arckanum and so forth.) Wonder what has earned Opeth this (honor?). Jon Nödtveidt of Dissection can hardly find any philosophic affinities with Opeth so I guess the man must be impressed with the music of Åkerfeldt, Lindgren, Mendez and Lopez... or?

Any thoughts?

By the way... Dissections new material is horrible. After waiting ten years for a worthy follow up to 1995´s classic "Storm of the Lights Bane" I guess we all who liked their previous work feel beyond let down. Oh Well...

I agree. The new songs aren`t very good. I `suppose Jon doesn`t care very much what we think. I think he has chnaged alot and matured alot and do whatever he feels like.

About the connection. I don`t know what they have in common. A link on a site doesn`t always mean they are married. I guess they respect Opeth or something.

;)

I don't think he's changed at all. I saw a recent TV interview with him (he is the guy that was involved in that murder, right?), and he frightened me, to be honest. He had no remorse whatsoever, and said:
'People kill each other all the time, so what's the big deal'
:erk:
And their bass player was like, 'we want to recruit young people to follow on the aggressive black-metal tradition'.
:erk:

While I can't say Opeth's lyrics are anywhere near as deeply evil as Dissection and similar bands, they're no innocent as an angel, ponies running through pink fields, either. I'm pretty sure that the connection between the two ends at a respect for them, but keep in mind that while Opeth can be sensitive and is very intelligent in their songwriting, they are still METAL.

I don't think Jon has any regrets for the murder he committed either... In an interview with Swedens second largest newspaper (Expressen) he gave a diplomatic answer considering his remorse for the murder. Said he didn't want to talk about it considering the victims family and friends. So well, he might have changed but probably only onto a more "anti-cosmic" path since his imprisonment. Its no news that Jon has always been heavily into the satanic.

And yes. I know that Opeth are truly no angels either. Especially not in their earlier days. But what was so strange about the links on Dissections homepage was that there were only like 8 links to different satanic/anti-cosmic metalbands who are linked to Dissection in different ways. Watain was support on Dissections rebirth tour, Arckanum is known to hold views similar to those of Jon, and so forth. Behemoth opened for Dissection in Stockholm a few weeks ago. And then... Opeth. So yes, the only conclusion would be that they respect the music of Opeth. But its still in my opinion rather strange that they appear among those other bands. Wonder if Mikael would care about it. I know he has said that he had some contact with Jon in the early nineties and he thought he was a nice guy, but then somewhere along the road Jon changed. Mikael also stated he thought it was sad to see him change like that if I remember correctly. So perhaps Jon has been a big fan since the very beginning of Opeths career, and still is...

Kirkfjell said:
Ave...

Just browsed through Dissections official homepage and got very surprised when I found a link to www.opeth.com among the obscure, satanic, anti-cosmic bands (such as, Watain, Arckanum and so forth.) Wonder what has earned Opeth this (honor?). Jon Nödtveidt of Dissection can hardly find any philosophic affinities with Opeth so I guess the man must be impressed with the music of Åkerfeldt, Lindgren, Mendez and Lopez... or?

Ave? What are you, Ancient Roman? haha, no beef with you, I love the Romans:headbang: as for your post, I've never heard Dissectional. Maybe I should get into it?

Dissection are listed in the "BANDS" section of the Thankyou's in Orchid, if nobody else pointed it out.

biggsy said:
Ave? What are you, Ancient Roman? haha, no beef with you, I love the Romans:headbang: as for your post, I've never heard Dissectional. Maybe I should get into it?

Buy/download Storm of the Light's Bane. Very good melodic black/death.

Just DONT read any interviews of Jon though :erk:

Brains for breakfast said:
Buy/download Storm of the Light's Bane. Very good melodic black/death.

Just DONT read any interviews of Jon though :erk:

Well, I think the opposite.

Read some interviews. He`s a guy with some diffrent views on life.
I don`t agree but find diffrent persons interesting.