What gear did James use on Disincarnate-Dreams Of The Carrion Kind

I hope you find out soon because I've always wanted to know that, since I was a kid. That album inspired myself and several of my friends to pursue music seriously. Though we're still trying to pursue it 'seriously' ten years later. I used to be called the next James Murphy. Quite an honor. Anyway, enough ass-kissing...

Another question, and I hope it's not a trade secret, but myself and a few of my friends have wanted to know how James gets that sound on his solo's in particular. It doesn't matter what band he's with, it has the same tone. What is his secret? If you can find that out I'd appreciate it.

I agree i have always wanted that info.
HIS TONE IS THE GREATEST DEATH METAL LEAD TONE EVER.... SWEEP PICKING SOUNDS SO AMAZING WHEN HE DOES IT... EASILY ONE OF THE GREATEST PLAYERS OF ALL TIME.

HAIL JAMES MURPHY Get well soon. we await more musick.

I have a few guesses...

*Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier amps, and/or Triaxis preamps with the Mesa Recto 4x12 cabinets w/ 75 watt Celestions
*Ibanez S series guitars with Lo Pro Edge trems, EMGs in neck and bridge position

I think, at this point, James started using some custom Fender Strats with the EMG 'bucker in the bridge, and two hot Fender single coils.

As for processing gear...well, let's see what Ms. Anthrope gives us. :)

I have an old issue of Guitar magazine dating back to 1993! It was an issue totally devoted to Death Metal! Inside there is an article/interview with James Murphy! For his Rhythm tracks he used a Gibson Flying V with an EMG 81 & A Marshall Valvestate head! For Leads he used his Ibanez Saber with Dimarzio (forgot what kinda Dimarzio, dammit I better hunt down that magazine, its all boxed up somewhere) pickups & a Mesa Boogie dual Rectifier! Now this is all from memory of that article, but I pretty sure thats what he used in the studio when recording "Dreams Of The Carrion Kind"!
I also love James Murphy tone! No matter what CD you listen to, be it Testament, Disincarnate, Death, Cancer, or his solo stuff, you can always tell its James Murphy! You know I think it may have more to do with James fingers & just the way he plays than with the Rig hes using! Maybe!

www.AssistingSorrow.com

Vengeance had it mostly right but the EMG in the V was an 85 and the DiMarzio in the Saber was a Super Distortion. The head was indeed a Valvestate Marshall and the cab was a Marshall as well - an older JCM 800 1960 straight model borrowed for the session off of Bill Steer of Carcass.

The "secret" to my lead tone was, is, and always will be an Ibanez Tube Screamer TS-9 pedal.

Thanks and good luck on your tone quests!!

James Murphy said:
Vengeance had it mostly right but the EMG in the V was an 85 and the DiMarzio in the Saber was a Super Distortion. The head was indeed a Valvestate Marshall and the cab was a Marshall as well - an older JCM 800 1960 straight model borrowed for the session off of Bill Steer of Carcass.

The "secret" to my lead tone was, is, and always will be an Ibanez Tube Screamer TS-9 pedal.

Cool...another TubeScreamer fan... :)

I use two myself, a Soundtank TS-5 and a more recent ToneLok TS7 with the HOT switch.

The TS7 's TS-9 mode comes very close to the newer TS-9's in sound. It's also a great pedal for bass overdrive sounds (in HOT mode) a la Voivod (pre-Nothingface) or maybe Motorhead or Manowar.

having read the gear section, I wasnt too sure about using a rectifier, I LOVE James's lead tone, but I dont think it's quite as scooped as a typical recto sound, it had more middle, I've managed to ballpark the sound using my tech21 sansamp pedal, with a Boss hypermetal Hm-3 pedal, just to give a little munch to the sound, I'm running a PRS singlecut on the neck pickup, and it's sweet as!

And James, I only heard about your illness quite recently, but I was also relieved to see you're battling through it, hope to hear some new material from you very soon!

James Murphy said:

Still using the green Dunlop Tortexes as well (.88)? :D

I still find it funny how some guitarists view Marshalls as not having enough gain for modern metal. The fact that James and Zakk Wylde have both used Marshalls and OD pedals to crushing effect kinda disproves the theory.

Edit: D'oh should've read the post properly the cab was a JCM800 1960. I get the plank award of the day, oh well swift edit but the spirit of my post still stands.