What happened to badass RPGs?

AlphaTemplar

Morgan Freeman
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
Seriously, there used to be so many awesome RPGS...System Shock, Baldurs Gate, Chrono Trigger, the Mana games, Diablo, Fallout, Final Fantasy, Neverwinter Nights, etc. Now it's like...Kingdom Hearts and Knights of the Old Republic are the only things worht playing.

Yeah, i can't think of any new "epic" rpgs out these days. The latest rpg that I played that was good was Morrowind: Elder Scrolls III, but even that's 3 years old now.

well as you might know all rpg release today are pointing toward online. with college+work, i absolutely have no time for mmorpg. and even paying monthly, screw that, just to chat with a bunch of these teen dorks? sorry my opinion is bias, but i lost touch/not up to date with the newer rpgs. the most i ever pay for some monthly subscription is $9/month at suicidegirls.com.

the old rpg has it all, art, characters development, music and story. you can tell what's my fav rpg/fps by looking at my avatar.

i'm really dont like the stuff squaresoft putting out anymore. it stop for me at ff8. ff9 wasnt that great. and then after that its all about hot chicks with boobs and blonde hair.

Have you played Skies of Arcadia Legends yet? If not it is a must play for any fan of RPG's. Awesome graphics a huge overworld with cool battles and plenty of great storylines and characterzation to keep you going for the 50 hours it takes to complete. An older favorite of mine if Grandia II for the Sega Dreamcast. Which has one of the best battle systems ever created and plenty of killer spells to go along with its religious end/birth of the world story line. Currently I'm playing Final Fantasy I which is part of the GBA FF Dawn of Souls 2 on 1 reissue also including the FF II game. FFI seems good and certainly was genre defining upon release. My only complaint is there are too many random battles, just like in Skies of Arcadia. Another good thing about Grandia II is that the battles aren't random, you can see the monsters on the path in front of you.

Fallout 3 was in the works in 2003, but at about 60-80% through Interplay canned the Black Isle Studios PC team, leaving the console team to make Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel, which boomed. The Fallout license was bought by Bethesda last year, who started the new game from scratch, which means the originally planned Fallout 3 game will never come out.