What has been your best success with getting exposure/selling merch?

Rumble

In Ruins
Jul 12, 2003
Alberta Canada
www.fallenvictim.com
Just out of curiosity. What has everyone done here that has gotten them fans/sales/exposure that others might benefit from knowing? One specific question is the argument of paid vs free album releases. Which is better in today's music scene?

give them something worth their money. make awesome music, put on a good show and keep the merch prices low/mediocre.

Yep, that's what will make them go to your merch booth and you'll sell some albums, t-shirts, gstrings, etc...
Having a good looking girl at the booth wearing one of your band t-shirt is always a big win, in my experience.

Kinda sounds ironic when you say it but that's one of the things I'd do if I had the money. Pair that with buying onto bigger tours, having a good spread of cheap high quality merch, free music downloads but physical albums as well... There you go!

knowing who is important and making sure they know who you are

attaching big names to your product

smoke and mirrors

play good music, put on a good show, and be nice to your fans. keep the pricing reasonable too.
selling merch is is one of those things that you don't really have an influence on, it either happens, or it doesn't.

personally, i found that the whole merch thing is very genre dependent though.....i've never met a scene where people where as heavily into merch as the black metal scene. BM guys buy merch like mad. it's much harder in the death and thrash realm.

edit: a good looking and charming girl selling the merch does indeed help btw. it's a cliche, but it's true, even though i don't understand it. every time either my girlfriend or the gf of any of the other guys was in charge of our merch we sold more than we did with a random (male) friend of ours doing merch. female charm, i guess.