What is a "World Clock"??

Remy_5150

Aug 31, 2006
So I sold my Digi 002 mixer, and I'm looking at maybe getting a Digi 003 rackmount, I know that the preamps and converters are redesigned, but I also noticed that it comes with "BNC Word Clock I/O"....what exactly is Word Clock, and what is its purpose...is it useful?

EDIT: I meant Word Clock, not World Clock...fuck thats probably going to confuse everyone and Brett will move my thread to Off-Topic....

Word clock is used to sinc up several different IO devices..

If you have 2 or more preamps all capturing at the same time you can keep them all in sync by daisy chaining them all to the 003 word clock..

I know more about video sync than audio, but I'm assuming this keeps things in phase.. keeps all the sample rates at the same cycle speed.. ie: 44.1, 48, 96, etc.

As I understand it, when you have a bunch of analog/digital converters in different pieces of gear, they all have to be synced so that you don't get all sorts of pops and clicks; although you can sync it through SPDIF, ADAT, or AES, I guess a word clock is a universal protocol dedicated exclusively to synchronization.

Wikipedia Answer:

A word clock or wordclock (sometimes sample clock, which can have a broader meaning) is a clock signal (not the actual device) used to synchronise other devices, such as digital audio tape machines and compact disc players, which interconnect via digital audio. S/PDIF, AES/EBU, ADAT, TDIF and other formats use a word clock. Various audio over Ethernet protocols use broadcast packets for the word clock. The device which maintains the word clock on a network is the master clock.

Word clock should not be confused with timecode; word clock is used entirely to keep a perfectly-timed and constant bitrate to avoid data errors. The word clock generator, usually built-in to Analog to Digital converters, creates digital pulses which contain no other data, and is considered essential to avoid frequency drift between the internal oscillators of each device. Timecode is actual data (technically metadata) about the media content being transmitted, and is optional, being sent in a higher layer.

----------------------------------------

Novice answer:

Basically you can connect all of you digital gear together via the BNC cable usually 75 Ohm for audio.

PC Audio cards can have them, AD/DA Converters can have them, Line 6 POD Pro's have them.

From my limited understanding, you can set one device as a Master Clock be it your Audio Card or AD/DA converter, then feed the BNC cable in a loop through all your digital gear which puts everything on the same clock cycle.

In the end it helps prevent clock errors which can cause little clicks and pops on your recording.

You can usually accomplish the same with optical connections without the BNC cable. With the BNC most devices will be set to External and I hear that it is generally the most effective way to Sync your Clock Signals.

Anyone else feel free to chime in........

I can give you one example of that..

I have the Digi002, and an M-Audio Octane connected via light pipe..

when I first got the octane I was a 100% nube.. and didn't know a damn thing about audio sync.

when I was recording for the first time I was getting very loud "CLICKS" in the recorded audio that happened on very specific intervals..

I thought the damn thing was broken.. luckilly I read the damn manual and found out that the octane has a built in sync.. so all I had to do was set pro tools to sinc to ADAT rather than internal time.

Word clock is used mostly for Analog sources so far as I know.

Word! Clock!

flavor_flav.jpg