Syncing a Digimax to a Profire... am I missing a step here?

darthjujuu

Nov 17, 2008
Boston
www.myspace.com
read the digimax manual, that end is definitely all kosher...

i just racked my new profire2626 yesterday and all is well, just can't get the digimax to get sync. there's (what i am fairly certain to be) a 75 ohm BNC cable going from the breakout > clock OUT cable on the profire, to the BNC clock IN connector (there's only one) on the digimax. digimax is set to get external sync, but it just won't get it.

the profire mixer is set to internal clock sync, 44.1

the digimax just sits there blinking waiting to get a sync. wamp wamp.

any clues?

hrm, i hadn't thought of that... i suppose because i'd hafta make the digimax the master, and... i just figured the profire had a better clock. or....do they both use jetPLL so it'd make no difference?

*does more research*

if anyone would like to chime on using a BNC for separate sync (instead of using the ADAT to sync) making a theoretical difference, i'd be curious to all of your opinions.

yea the presonus site doesn't mention anything about jetPLL or any other type of fancy clock technology in the digimax and in the manual it almost seems like they encourage using an external clock, so i'd hafta presume it's better to have the profire be master.

maybe the profire by default sends clock via ADAT and not the BNC and i'm just not finding the option to change it .. o_- ?

clocking by word clock is better than clocking by ADAT, even if you're using the ADAT

It is also better to use inferior method that works than superior method that doesn't work. Atleast in my opinion. But for darthjujuu: Check from manual page 23 and forward:

"If you have connected a S/PDIF, ADAT, or Word Clock device to your ProFire 2626 and would like to use that
device’s clock as the master clock source, select “ADAT A,” “ADAT B,” “Coax S/PDIF,” or “Word Clock” from
this drop down menu. This will make ProFire 2626 lock to the external device’s clock."

"If you wish to set ProFire 2626 as the master, set the “Sync Source”
parameter in the Control Panel to “Internal.” If you would like ProFire
2626 to lock to another device connected using ADAT, S/PDIF, or Word
Clock, select “ADAT A,” “ADAT B,” “Coax S/PDIF,” or “Word Clock”
from the drop-down menu. In this scenario, you’ll need to ensure that
the external device is set as the clock master.

Refer to the “Digital Clocking” section of this guide to learn more about
clocking and to learn how to digitally synchronize multiple digital devices
to one clock."

there's no clicks or pops at all, the digimax just won't get sync. at all. it's a constant state of looking for it, with the 44.1 and 48khz indicators blinking on and off. indicating that there's no sync at all. i mean i now have 16 channels and it's gonna be awhile before i ever even use this digimax again so i'm not too worried about it, i just eventually needa get this fucker synced.

man it doesnt work, i have the same setup and i clock my profire after the d8 by adat; initally i thought that i was doing something wrong then i looked up and everybody has this problem. presonus and m-audio blame eachother. i will just get another preamp when ill have less work to do.

man it doesnt work, i have the same setup and i clock my profire after the d8 by adat; initally i thought that i was doing something wrong then i looked up and everybody has this problem. presonus and m-audio blame eachother. i will just get another preamp when ill have less work to do.

o_0 wow, really?? well that'sa stinker. knew i should've gotten a fireface :err: