What is singing, and who does and who does not sing among the metal vocalists?

Durakonis

Zudviz
Nov 17, 2013
I've seen too much "Russell Allen can not sing anymore", and "I wish Russ wouldn't do crunchy singing, as I'm worried that he would lose his awesome voice" comments. I've been a singer myself, and as far as my experience and observation shows, a singer finds his balance not to ruin his singing in a way, unless he/she damages his voice chords. As for academical disciplines in singing, most metal singers had been allegedly doing it wrong, until Bruce Dickinson's singing style was acknowledged to be a good technique. (You can correct me, if my information is wrong, as I've read this from somewhere that I don't remember.). Even Dani Filth's vocal has turned to be really powerful again. (Which shocked a lot of people, including myself.)

I deeply respect and take into consideration the heritage of classical singing techniques and stuff, and the slow and careful pace (or maybe even stabilization) of its traditions. It is just to say my opinion about Russell, who I believe is still singing. :)

All of the talk about Russ "not being able to sing anymore" is absolute bunk. He may have chosen, via PL/Iconoclast and Adrenaline Mob, to start using a more aggressive vocal style, but he still has the same power and capabilities as he did before. Check out the newest Allen/Lande album or last year's Trans-Siberian Orchestra tour: Russell's amazing singing voice is still going strong.

As you get older, your range tends to diminish.

This usually results in vocalists going for tonal changes rather than breadth of register. Since they can't hit those high notes anymore, they imbue emotion with rawer styles.

This also happens when they listen to a lot of alt metal and nu metal.