What is the best way to approach a live sound guy to change his methods?

Lowberg

Aug 26, 2004
Rochester, NY
So we play at this venue every so often, and the sound engineer who works for the venue mics cabs in an unusual position for metal. I've had some complaints from friends about the guitar tone so this may be the problem.

The engineer mics the speaker like this
speaker.png

We have an important gig at this venue coming up soon, and I just wanted to get your opinions on what would be the most proper way to ask him to use a different more traditional mic position, without offending him?

I think your best bet would be to say something on the lines of "if it sounds like shit or if you don't like it you can do it how you always do"

maybe he'll be open to it, be surprised and like it

however, I (and I think most engineers) automatically assume that most musicians don't know shit about running live sound and shouldn't be telling me how to do my job, so don't be surprised if he tells you to fuck off either ;)

I'd say your chances would go up if he knew somehow you had an engineering background (smalltalk before the show or in between bands or whatever)

that is a really odd position though, I bet the guitars sound really muddy unless he adds a lot of high end to them on the strip

I'd suggest approaching him with a gun in your hand, murder in your heart and a wicked gleam in your eye.

Alternatively, just hire your own live engineer. Live soundguys are like plumbers, some are genuinely highly skilled tradesmen. But most are thick as pigshit pipe bashers.

I played a lot of shows and sometimes I just changed the mic-spot while soundchecking. Then I went down the stage and played guitar while listening from the audience place.
No one ever complained!!!!

I played a lot of shows and sometimes I just changed the mic-spot while soundchecking. Then I went down the stage and played guitar while listening from the audience place.
No one ever complained!!!!

Don't do this. I seriously rip people new assholes if they move the mic even half an inch over from where I placed it

OP, honestly the best option is to bring your own engineer that you know has a solid record of mixing metal if you don't wanna piss this other guy off. If this show is really that "important" for whatever reason it's worth hiring someone that will do a good job

Def dont move the mic without talking to him first, that just asking for problems. Just be respectable about it and throw it in as an idea. Otherwise hire someone that you feel confident with.

I always check the mic position, and if I don't like it, I just move it at my taste. Nobody ever told me anything or they can suck my cock.

Usually we hire a known engineering, that is the best way to achieve a good sound.

we have the same problem at one place we place often with a guy who is a downright PRICK .. I just wait until the guy sets the mic up and then when he walks away I position it how it should be. He never says anything because he never bothers to check again until the end of the night

everybody wins

I hate when a musician moves the mic thinking they know better. I also get kinda annoyed when someone comes in telling me the guitar sound sucks because the placement of the mic when clearly its the tone coming out of the cab that sucks.
Had this a few weeks ago with a band, guy was using a boss me50 for all his tones through an another bands amp and insisted it sounded killer on stage, it was thin, overgained and just sounded fizzy as hell. He was also using tons of reverb on all his tones. Guy kept saying " I've a studio and usually mic the cab here, I think thats the problem" tried his way which was most of the way towards the outer edge of the speaker. Sounded like crap. Next band sound checked with my mic/position. Guy had a great tone.

I have seen cabs marked with an X in what looked to be paint right on their live sweet spot. toss any mic on that spot, sounds fine.

1. When walking into the venue, go to the sound engineer.
2. Introduce yourself to him, have a little chat and be nice to him (talk about some technical stuff so he knows you know some stuff).
3. Setup your gear and wait for him to place the mic.
4. If you don't like the sound/position, suggest it to him in a friendly way like: "Hey, would you mind trying out this position (thats what she said) i liked the sound of it the previous time.

Or yeah, try to mark the spot with tape.

Its all good now, they had a different sound guy working for them, he used an senn e609 in the right position and it sounded very good. We got a lot of compliments about the mix being a lot better.