what is the The Karelian Isthmus album of modern times?

-J-

May 7, 2007
wish I could find an album made recently that's something slightly heavy, with discernable vocals, melodic without figuratively screaming "WE'RE SWEDISH!," catchy, timeless, jammin', and without sparkling clean production that's sapped all life outta the tunes.

you know, like amorphis's "The Karelian Isthmus."

I just have a hard time getting past stuff made after the early/mid 1990s, but I'm hoping it's more the fact that I used to buy more back then rather than there's just not much good stuff out there anymore.

so...what should I check out?!?!?!

Hmm, I think the issue underscoring the problem is - Amorphis are from Finland, perhaps that's why it doesnt scream Swedish, bar the fact it was recorded at Sunlight...

In regard to what is melodic with discernable vocals and new, maybe try Megadeth's United Abominations. Sorry, you probably want Death Metal.. Perhaps someone else can help you in your quest, I havent been on the look out for new deathgear.

I also prefer early Amorphis (and other early-mid 90s DM)and I still love it, even all these years later. It'll save you more money staying content with past releases.:headbang:

I was going to suggest Insomnium as well but they sound swedish due to alot of melody even though they aren't.
Swallow the Sun may be right up your alley but they are more doomy.
The Sentenced suggestion of Amok is a good ideas as well as go with Down or The Cold White LIght
The Black League's first two albums too.......Ichor and Utopia A.D.

Well, you still might want to check out Insomnium. The first album sounded very In Flames/Jester race era musically. Just a little less soloing. The Day it all came down album has more of an Opeth feel, with great acoustic parts, with clean vocals thrown in here and there. The new one finds them starting to sound more original, while wearing their influences subtlely. They really embedded into my brain quite nicely over the years!Sentenced are quite speedy on North From Here (but oh so good!!)Their first Sentenced(Shadows from the Past) album is slower/doomier but probably the closest to that Isthmus era Amorphis.