Well, I think I found my album of the year...

poundingmetal74

Demons Will Fly
Oct 18, 2004
Canada, eh
www.finalstage.ca
Theocracy - Mirror of Souls

Downloaded this last week and it hasn't left my CD player. Matt Smith stepped EVERYTHING up big time. I absolutely loved Theocracy's first disc. Catchy songs, pure metal, progressive stuff, and the guy's just a great singer and all-around musician.

This time he returns with a full band and a kick ass production. The disc is heavy as hell, very well written, impressive musicianship. Matt fused the greatest elements of Edguy, Dream Theater (or maybe that's Threshold I hear?) and Metallica to make one helluvan album.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED For everyone on this forum. I can't wait to hear this in all its glory on CD. :headbang:

I'll be very surprised if this doesn't end up in a lot of top 10 lists at the end of the year.

The New Edguy is guaranteed to be top 3... it frigging ROCKS!! It's very much in line with the latest Avantasia disc than say, Theater of Salvation. My only gripe is it doesn't seem like an Edguy disc, rather Avantasia with Edguy performing.

imo the top 10 of 2008

1 lindsey buckingham-gift of screws
2 los lonely boys- forgiven
3 black crowes- warpaint
4 king's x-xv
5 extreme- saudades de rock
6 motorhead- motorizer
7 queen+paul rodgers- the cosmos rock
8 ac/dc- black ice
9 night ranger-hole in the sun
10 whitesnake- bad foor good

honorable mentions:
testament- formation of damnation
tesla- forever more
judas priest- nostradamus

live album of the year:
crosby,stills,nash and young- deja vu live

could still make the top 10 but aren't released yet:
guns n roses-chinese democracy
sammy hagar- cosmic universal fashion

I'm going to wait until December to start the official top ten countdown 2008, I still having problems shuffling 9-20 positions. But I doubt I move much 1-10 so far, this year I based more on catchiness of the album that quality, technicality or so.

Just checked Theocracy out and have quit a different opinion of the new album. In my ears it's prototype "happy" metal (except for Laying the Demon...). Honoustly, I would prefer a Final Stage album over this all the time !!!! Hope Theocracy won't be a too big influence for FS ??? :err:
My top 2008 albums I guess will remain Uriah Heep, Morglbl, Bigelf and the Sieges Even live album.

Just checked Theocracy out and have quit a different opinion of the new album. In my ears it's prototype "happy" metal (except for Laying the Demon...).
I would have to disagree, There are some "happy" moments, but by and large it's quite a dark record, especially compared to their first. To me, Thunderstone would be the prototypical "happy" power metal band.

Honestly, I would prefer a Final Stage album over this all the time !!!! Hope Theocracy won't be a too big influence for FS ??? :err:
Thanks for the compliment - although FS and Theocracy are apples and oranges. While I love Theocracy's music, it's not so much an influence per se. FS will always remain much closer to say, Dream Evil, than it will to Theocracy/Dream Theater.