What kind of art influnce you?

Ethera

My simple side
May 7, 2006
Piastów
Hi!

On our considerations, has got an influence a lot of things, among them is an art. What kind of art you like most? Literature? paintings?theater?, what does influence on you the most, and how?

Thanks to everyone!

I like to try to find ways to capture the essence of any kind of art in the art of Music. It's very interesting to try to paint pictures in peoples' imaginations using all different kinds of keyboard effects and what not.

derek said:
Absolutley anything. Everything can and is a stimuli.

I agree. However, Literature and Music influences me the most. The visual arts influence me, but as I have absolutely no innate ability for such art, I only admire.

Propaganda is an art form imo. This is the artform that most interests me.
Definition of propaganda: 1) The systematic propagation of a doctrine or cause or of information reflecting the views and interests of those advocating such a doctrine or cause.
2) Material disseminated by the advocates or opponents of a doctrine or cause: wartime propaganda

I know this sounds really unromantic, so must add that I enjoy other art forms also!

Actually it would be incorrect to say I "like" propaganda either, but there are things I admire about it.

Propaganda does not mean lying. For example, in my posts I often have clearly defined political views, but I do try to be objective. The reason for this objectivity is that I don't want to believe a lie and I don't want to promote lies. However a great amount of propaganda is deliberately about manipulating people through lies.

I am interested in techniques for spreading important truths, countering lies and mistaken views, and also I'm interested in the techniques used by the deliberate manipulators and liars. These are observations no one can really afford not to make.

I will just add that this perhaps makes it sound like my posts are all deadly serious and that my mind is closed to hearing what others have to say - which is not the case!

Confession: actually I haven't even yet read any academic material about the art of propaganda and it is only by thinking about answering the question posed in this thread that it dawned on me that this an art form that draws me to it!
So now I have to research that a lot more!:loco:

In art, music is my main influence. How? I admire it for the way it uses sound to communicate ideas and feelings, moreso than the ideas themselves. A piece of music might be trying to convey an idea I completely disagree with, yet it can influence me artistically for the method by which it does it. Literature is an influence, but it is rare for its artistry to affect me over and above its content. There are many more ways to play music and to paint than there are to write.

Norsemaiden: i agree, propaganda can be an art form along with anything that involves creating something.

hibernal_dream said:
There are many more ways to play music and to paint than there are to write.

I disagree. I think writing can evoke the same range of feelings as any other artistic or cathartic medium.

I believe the spirit of identity with a particular medium comes down to personal passions and tastes. I, for example, can enjoy sublime prose, almost any genre of honest music and countless works of sculpture and art. I honestly believe it depends on how far you cast your net. Open the mind, let everything and anything be a stimulus and sooner or later you find the ability to identify with any style of source.

Expression comes in many forms, all of them different, but over lapping. I'd argue that you miss the larger narrative if you focus purely on one element.

derek said:
I disagree. I think writing can evoke the same range of feelings as any other artistic or cathartic medium.

I believe the spirit of identity with a particular medium comes down to personal passions and tastes. I, for example, can enjoy sublime prose, almost any genre of honest music and countless works of sculpture and art. I honestly believe it depends on how far you cast your net. Open the mind, let everything and anything be a stimulus and sooner or later you find the ability to identify with any style of source.

Expression comes in many forms, all of them different, but over lapping. I'd argue that you miss the larger narrative if you focus purely on one element.

I think all art can portray a variety of emotions and feelings--and other art forms; but it is great art that does portray this variety. Essentially hibernal dream needs to expand his reading pallette, and he will discover works that are both euphonic and aesthetic (I can offer a few of the top of my head: Goethe, Pavic, Joyce, Bely, Flaubert, Beckett, Aristophanes and many more). I think its the same with any form of art, from music to painting.

Perhaps you're both right, but I wasn't accusing writing of any inability to evoke feeling, I was simply trying to distinguish the content of piece of art and its form - to me the latter is of greater artistic significance and that's why I admire music above writing. Music is art at its most abstract - it is essentially just sound and little else. Writing is much less abstract with a lot less artistic freedom. Take a simple idea - a bank robbery. Once you've described the characters involved and what actually happened and take account of a limited vocabulary and the rules of writing, there isn't much room for artful writing unless you want to ruin the story with difficult words, metaphors and obscure imagery. Now take a chord progression in music, say I-IV-V-I - there are literally unlimited ways of playing it. Unlike writing, the idea becomes almost secondary to its mode of expression. Again, i'm not saying writing is inferior i'm just answering the thread's question - which is the greater influence.

I love art that is naturally formed. But influencial... maybe the art of linguistics?

hibernal_dream said:
Perhaps you're both right, but I wasn't accusing writing of any inability to evoke feeling, I was simply trying to distinguish the content of piece of art and its form - to me the latter is of greater artistic significance and that's why I admire music above writing. Music is art at its most abstract - it is essentially just sound and little else. Writing is much less abstract with a lot less artistic freedom. Take a simple idea - a bank robbery. Once you've described the characters involved and what actually happened and take account of a limited vocabulary and the rules of writing, there isn't much room for artful writing unless you want to ruin the story with difficult words, metaphors and obscure imagery. Now take a chord progression in music, say I-IV-V-I - there are literally unlimited ways of playing it. Unlike writing, the idea becomes almost secondary to its mode of expression. Again, i'm not saying writing is inferior i'm just answering the thread's question - which is the greater influence.

Ah, but there are unlimited ways of writing that scene. Take 100 of the best writers, sit them in a room, and give them a day to write this basic scene, and you'd get 100 different stories (some that may be radically different in form and imagery). And in the realm of do anything you want like say a jam or jazz band, I think postmodernism in lit and writing, has opened the door to essentially any form of writing one wishes. There are also unlimited ways of painting that scene.

Music is sort of a very almost God-like act, in that an almost eternity of ideas can be produced musically out of what seems to non-musically inclined people, thin air. But like writing, in music there are still rules, still restrictions.

I have never been one for the "traditional" arts such as painting, poetry etc. I see my passion for motorcycles and building them as my art. Everything from fabricating parts to riding them can be emotionally therapeutic and aesthetically pleasing.

I think the same lines as Derek. ALl art is impressionable to me. I have written songs about works I have read, Pictures I have seen, and other music. So far I haven't written anything specifically from Smell or taste, but I know I could If i felt inclinde to do so.

I find that when trying to create music, the best inspiration is to seek non-musical art. Rather than going and listening to some bands, and then composing something that vaguely combines these elements, I watch a movie or read some poems, or something, and then try to channel the emotions and spirit of the art into music. Non-musical arts clearly challenge the mind in a different way, and I think it opens up new ideas for me.

The great power of pure Music (without lyrics or words) is that it doesn't have to express anything of the world (outside of immitating the wind, bird song, noises, etc) and instead expresses the metaphysical aspects of our experiences of the world and perhaps even of the elemental forces of the Uninverse, unknown to us in any other tangible sense. The immense power of Music, despite it omnipresence in the Modern World - or because of it - is greatly underappreciated by its rabid consumers. Composers begining with Beethoven to Bartok moved mountains and revealed unheralded modes of experience, yet since the 1950s, much of what Music should or could be, has been debased and trivialized. Music, at its best, has an immediate, untrammelled effect on the subject that no other medium can have. In Cinema, powerful images can join such music, but it can often be an uneasy alliance - the two muct be One, not an accompaniment to the other. That is an art unto itself and it is often bungled. Werner Herzog and his collaborators, Florian Fricke, especially, achieved greatness in the 70s with Aguirre, The Wrath of God; Every Man for Himself and God Against All; Heart of Glass, etc, which are all great marriages of image and music.