What makes TGCD so good.

VampiricYouth

Jul 15, 2005
Like Discouraged Ones, it's a total change of style. The lyrics are no longer so introspective, dealing with themes such as depression and loneliness but now it's rather about a Lynchesque (post-apocalyptic world)...Has anyone seen Eraserhead? The entire album reminds me of bleak films like that, also really reminds me of The Stand. Although I can't indentify with the lyrics to the same degree as earlier albums, it's still an incredible image that's been painted.

I've seen Eraserhead, another sick movie from David Lynch, i love it =)

but anyway I really can't explain why, It has a great production, every sound of every instrument fits well in the mood of the song, Guitar and vocal lines are all great. Drums are also best fitting.. Lyrics are different. Jonas really writes unusual lyrics, he handles every situation from a different point of view, focuses on different details and such. That's what it makes the songs so beautiful and cold..

Interestingly, these days everyone comes to me and says (since the people who know me know i am a big fan of Katatonia) "Dude, Katatonia's last album is awesome". From guys who doesn't listen to anything but Black/death metal, to the ones who listens alternative rock or softer style of music, everyone who is hearing it loves the album.. There is no a particular reason for this, but it's obvious that Katatonia put something magical in it before the release =)

First of all for those who don't know me: normally I'm posting on the Hypocrisy board, but with TGCD Katatonia have struck me!

I knew a bit of Viva Emptiness before, but didn't like it tha much, but when I first listened to TGCD it fucking blew my mind!

Now I gave VE a second chance and it's growing, but it never reach TBCD. This album has a very unique atmosphere I think. I really cool mixture of harsh and heavy guitars with an amazing sound, Jonas' beautiful vocals and a very melancholic mood that tends to turn to anger once in awhile.
The guitar production is pretty "deathy" I'd say, and together with the atmosphere (which of course isn't anything like Death Metal) it makes the album something really special.

I'm a Kata fan since BMD and it's my most favourite band, so their every new album is something outstanding for me. But this album leaves me totally empty every time after listening. I can't explain it... Like it sucks all my energy, all my emotions are gone with the songs and there is nothing left... But still it also feels like you touch something very beautiful and fragile... Maybe because it's still new, but I can't listen to it as a background while doing something. Even if I try, every time I find myself sitting, staring at the wall and just enjoying it. It has to be a very special record to make me do so since I'm not very sensitive. So mOrtis is right, there is something magical indeed...