What Norse unit is better?

Theredintheskyisours

It is ours you know.
Apr 27, 2003
South Lyon, Michigan, USA
Visit site
Who would you rather take out on the field with you? The Jomsvikings of Jomsborg or those infamous Norse Berserkers? Explain your decision.

And........

go!

Personaly I would take the Jomsviking becuase they are just like Berserkers with armour on! Their double-bladed axes were extremly well designed. Jomsborg was a place similar to that of the Spartan Military Camps. No women were allowed and the whole purpose of the city was to train in the arts of combat. Very gruesome and fearsome unit. Same with the Berserkers, but I did have to choose only one!

Oh yeah feel free to add different strong units in other ancient factions into the frame.
Such as English Longbowmen, Dacian Falxmen, Egyptian Elite Gaurds, Spartan warriors, etc...

And I can't spell worth donkey balls!.......

I would take...

The Roman legions
2 SS Panzer Divisions
3 Gurka Squads
3 SAS Squads
2 Batallions of Greek Phalanx troops
A nice group of Berzerkers

ummm

Oh yeah some Varangian Guard and Kataphraktoi Heavy Cavalry (byzantine)

i think that'd do me, depends on the size of the battle really

I took that waaaaaaay to seriously :lol:

eh, the Kataphractoi were pretty uselss without being intermingled in formation with the Byzantine infantry, and they're usefulness only lasted for a flickering before people caught on to the tactics

I think an Army of non-death-fearing Samurais would do the best job.
Extemely good trained in tactics, fighting styles and equipped with light and deadly Weapons there will not be many obstacles which can hold them back.
In modern Times the best Job is done by Special Forces Units like SAS oder Delta or Kampfschwimmer.

eh, the Kataphractoi were pretty uselss without being intermingled in formation with the Byzantine infantry, and they're usefulness only lasted for a flickering before people caught on to the tactics
Yeah true, hense why i chose the varangian guard and id definitely add byzantine heavy infantry to that as well as some trebizond archers in support

By any chance have you been playing that game medievil: total war? :lol:

I would take Odin, alone. As is said, he would blind the enemy with his glowing white light and so perplex them that their weapons would turn to reed. The enemy would also be in such awe of his strength and looks that they would just stand there, petrified, while we would cut them down like grass. Then Odin and I would have long conversations about the battle, spoken only in ryme.

Alright let's make a twist on this.....what general would you have leading your dream army?

Three words Alexander the Great. That or Hannibal Barco. Or Napolean Bonaparte.
Say you are defending on a 45 meter hill . You are outnumbered, but not by too much. Your troops have won succesive battles therefore their moral is pretty high. The enemy has been reinforced and are moving towards your positions. Descirbed what you would do with your array of units. (Oh yeah, your enemy has to be in the same century as your army. Or close to the same century. Golden Age, Medieval Age, and Dark Age don't count, because they had very little advancements. Or not as significant as the 20th century to the 21st!)

Here's my army stats:
Army strength: 17,500
Leader: Alexander the Great
Moral: High but can drop significantly if the battle was lost.
Two corps made up of two divisons each. There are also many scattered skirmishers

Skirmishers: Highlander Swordsmen, Berserkers, Jomsvikings, Welsh bandits, and Garlic Forresters
Main army: Spartan Hoplites, Three brigades of Roman Legionars (In turtle formation), A brigade of Welsh Archers, Two bragdes of British Longbowmen, Four brigades of Macedonien Longspearmen (In Phalanx formation, of course), Rus Spearmen, Of course some Norse Carls, Norse Landsmenn, and Pictish warriors.

The cavalry would be made up of Viking Raiders, Macedonien Riders, English heavy cavalry units, and Winged Hussars (Yes they were in the Thirty Years War of 1618 to 1648, but oh well!).
The enemywould be facing my southwest, they have taken strategic points, and have almost surrounded my positions up on my lonely hill. I would gather my British longbowmen for a series of volleys to weaken the advancing enemy and create onrushes of my Phalanx's. Then I would put my veteren warriors into the frame imediatly and support the onslaught with my Spartan Hoplites, who are in double line formation facing the enemy. If I managed to break through their lines, I would send my skirmishers chasing after them along with my cavalry pursuing them. That's about it. Not a very good strategy, but oh well, I tried!

Hehehe I'll jump in a good ol' A-10 Warthog and drop some napalm on this hill.

The general I would choose would have to be Napoleon. He is the only french guy France can really be proud of, too bad his naval skills were no match to the ones of the British ou Patton for his amazing skills in the Battle of the Bulge. "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." prob. one of his best quotes.

In my opinion the guy who started this thread must have been playing too much age of mythology/empires or civilization3.

How could any of you forget the Golden Horde? The Mongols were arguably the greatest mounted fighters of all time, and they were nasty at siege warfare as well. They would catapault all the dead, rotting bodies they could find into the city they were attacking.

As for foot soldiers, it has to be the Greeks: The army at Marathon that routed a Persian Army almost five times as large, or the Ten Thousand, the army of Greek mercenaries that was cut off and surrounded deep inside Persia. It's leaders surrendered and were treacherously executed, and instead of surrendering themselves the army decided to fight it's way home, across 3500 miles of hostile territory.

As for special ops, SEALs or the Mossad would be ideal, but how about a SEAL team in charge of demolitions and the like combined with a unit of Apache warriors for stealth ops?

And for a leader, I think you'd be best off with someone familiar with modern warfare, like Rommel, whose had the opportunity to learn from all military greats before him.

Or you could just call in airstrike, and let some B-52's drop guided bombs on everything, the Roman legions wouldn't have much of an answer for that

I believe that was the Spartans that fought at marathon and defeated the Persians.....but i may be wrong :)

I have all the total war games, i cant wait until rome: total war comes out, its going to be fucking awesome!

I would reply to the battle strategy but im pretty tired and not at my sharpest lol

Tyra said:
Gustav II Adolf leading the Ross vikings. Bring it on!
Oh damn I forgot about good ole King Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden! I am sure he would of single handedly destroy the rest of the Imperial forces had he not die in battle anno 1632 (Was it that year? I am pretty sure it's that year.) He is my favorite Swedish King and General. He did so much for to reform the Swedish army, it's insane! Good pick my friend!

None_So_Vile said:
I believe that was the Spartans that fought at marathon and defeated the Persians.....but i may be wrong :)

I have all the total war games, i cant wait until rome: total war comes out, its going to be fucking awesome!

I would reply to the battle strategy but im pretty tired and not at my sharpest lol
Rome: Total War is gonna be awesome! I only have Shogun: Total War though. It was the Athenians and the Spartans combined to defeat the Persian army. I would credit the Spartans for contributing the most because of their awesome soldiers!

Nah, the major Spartan coolness was at Thermopylae (sp?) where 300 spartans held off the elite warriors of the Persian army, and died defending the pass...Marathon was an Athenian victory.

In answer to your other question, nah I haven't played medieval total war yet, though I want to, I simply happen to be working on a paper on Byzantine military history at the moment.

Nah, the major Spartan coolness was at Thermopylae (sp?) where 300 spartans held off the elite warriors of the Persian army, and died defending the pass...Marathon was an Athenian victory
Ah yeah, good point, i wasnt sure if i was right:)

I simply happen to be working on a paper on Byzantine military history at the moment
Wow byzantine military history, id love to do that, lucky bastard :p