What tubes should I get?

ForrestC

Licensed Dumbass
Aug 30, 2011
Bath, ME
So I recently posted a thread (actually two but I erased one) about the fact that I had bought a new tube amp (b-52 at-112) but since no-one has posted I guess it is not a very reasonable question. so I have decided to instead ask a different question.

What tubes should I get? It comes stock with two 6l6/5881 power tubes, four 12ax7 preamp tubes, and 1 12ax7 phase inverter tube. I do NOT like the tone that is coming out of the amp very much. I want a more growly ballsy tone, and while the tone as apposed to my solid state is very big and warm, it does not quite have the balls or growl i'm looking for, the overdrive (which is actually more of a distortion than an overdrive) is rather fuzzy (not like a fuzzface pedal, just a little fuzzy) and lacks the low end chunk I want.

I was looking to maybe getting some 6550 tubes installed, because zakk wylde uses them, and he has a VERY similar tone to what I want, but there are several different brands, so I don't know which ones to get, if you have another type of tube that you think would be better for what I need then feel free to tell me about it.

also, I dont know how much preamp or phase inverter tubes effect my tone but if they effect it significantly, let me know of some that would fit my needs.

oh btw, I don't know if this will have any effect on what tubes I get, but where I would normally have the bass on full with most amps, this amp I usually get the same amount on this amp with the bass on 5 and the low res on about five. past that it goes to some crazy almost unusable amounts of bass. just something to maybe keep in mind.