what vinyl revival?

Nov 14, 2004
I recently read in an article that the revival of vinyl was strong in numbers at some sort of electronics/electricals show. It bought me to ponder the question...What vinyl revival?

With the way music is heading these days, what with the compactness - and compacting - of mp3 players (..phones, bloody Ipods whatever they're called. They all seem to have about 50 different functions) basically calling the death of even portable CD players, how could it be that people would regress to vinyl?

I can honestly not see the over-the-top, technologically self-exceeding world of today having the patience and/or subtleness to utilize vinyl.

It wouldn't suprise me if the commercial world were to lose complete interest in albums all together some day. It's as if the only interest is in songs alone, and the only way in the future to obtain songs would be by purchasing/downloading off the internet, meaning the demise of the physical aspect of entire CD's or records.

Besides it's been mentioned that a main source needed to create virgin vinyl is rapidly disappearing, and 'experts' claiming the death of vinyl to be within not 5 years of the present day.

What are your thoughts?

There are a lot of stores popping up that are selling lots of vinyl (well, extra rooms on existing stores).

I think you'll find it's mainly in the dance/electronic/dub or whatever it's called scenes, because you can alter the speed that they're played at with quite a bit of control, which makes them perfect for mixing and those sorts of things where you want to keep up a certain beat (dancing and the like). A fine control record player and one of those bass heavy beat track things and anyone's a DJ!

But in your metal/rock/pop/classical/etc scenes, yeah, you're gonna be hard pressed to find vinyl unless it's some sort of special edition.

Yes, well, of course, I was talking more on the consumer side of things (so was this article), as opposed to the entertainer/dance club DJ, because they just bloody rip the record's to pieces. No music fan in their right mind could do such a thing haha. It's painful to poor old Mr. Vinyl.

I mean, it seems as if in the future, the way to get a hold of songs would be to purchase/downloading single songs only. (Well let's face it, the commercial albums of today contain a single hit anyway, so people would probably be able to save money HAHA).

Who knows, maybe this would mean the end of the full-length albums and it's physical aspect?

Basically, what I'm getting at is I see no way that vinyl could ever be mass-produced again in a 'revival'. It is simply against the way the world is too fast for itself technologically by going back in time.

Going back in time......hmmm. I'd say the current fashion trends would prove me wrong there, ey?

I can't see it being mass-produced again, but there's still a market for it. I'm getting into it myself. It's nice having such a big cover for the artwork.

My brother got me Brave New World on vinyl for xmas. It fucking rules, as it has two picture discs. He also got me the Velvet Revolver album for my birthday. Vinyl's also good for getting back catalogues of albums you don't want to spend CD price for...

I buy vinyls when they are cheap either to try the band out for a few bucks, or I buy vinyls of albums I can't find on CD. For example I have the second London album, from 1986, on vinyl. I don't even think that ever saw a CD release.

Of course, people still buy vinyls, mostly old releases at s/h stores...but of course we do, we're music fans. Your Average Joe isn't a music fan and they're the sort of people that I can't see catching onto vinyl, and there's a far greater existence of non-music collectors.