What's the furthest u've ever driven to see a concert?

Hmm 6,5 hour drive..from Holland to Balingen. I guess Alex will overrate us all..he flew from Greece to Holland, to visit Nevermore with us! He stayed with us for three days, it was just perfect! :)

xxx Iris xxx

About 800 miles to Atlanta (fron New Jersey) to see ProgPower 2.0. I'll be making that same trip again this November.

GZ

... about 28 hours of driving to see Tool at Red Rocks, Colorado... somewhere around 1600 miles each way, I think

and it only took a little over 2 days to get there (we had a tight schedule to get home again, lol, pretty much just drove there, saw the show, then turned around and drove back east) :D

Hmm, didn't know we were counting Dead shows...that's a whole new ballgame.

Farthest I've ever driven was about 7 hours or so (I think), to get from Ithaca, NY @ college to Cleveland for a weekend worth of Dead shows.

Originally posted by dead6skin6mask6
:lol: whats the big deal with the grateful dead and HAVING to see a bunch of their shows?

I don't really know now. I'm sure I had good reasons at the time, but it just seemed like everyone else was going all over the freaking country to see them, so why not?

The other thing with the Dead was that they NEVER played the same show twice. Sure there were patterns once you got used to them, but you could never really be sure of what you'd get, and there was always the allure of catching "that" show. With the amount of heroin that Mr.Garcia was doing, you'd also never know if the band was "on" that night or not. Technical death metal they weren't, where everything was stop-on-a-dime precise. As meandering jam bands go, they were the creme de la creme, and every show was different. I guess that's why.

Dead shows were each unique because the band did so much improvisation, in fact, they didn't even follow a set list. you never heard the same show twice. for instance, if you saw them three straight nights, they would probably not repeat a song. Sometimes a show might pretty much suck, but the next night it would just be transcendant.

the Deadheads were like a tribe, you would see your friends, say, in Wisconsin where I used to see them often at Alpine Valley, and then maybe again in Philly...and then there was the chemical enhancement. I knew a number of guys in college who would hit the dead tour just to score enough drugs to sell back on campus to fund that semester's partying. 'Heads would show up hours ahead of time just to find their friends, and party like hell before the show started.

plus it seemed there were always just great looking women.

the only jam bands which remotely move me like the Dead used to are Moe and Govt. Mule.

Apparently not.

@famousamos: Having gone through the EXACT same thing you're seemingly going through right now, I can tell you that "rebelling" against them isn't going to get you far. My best piece of advice is to see if you can work out some kind of compromise with them and see if they'll budge on their ignorant metal stance...

I feel for ya though.