What's the trick to sample replacement?

KeithRT99

BOOSH.
Nov 8, 2005
Vallejo,CA
www.soundclick.com
Hey guys, i've been attempting to sample replace some drum tracks and get it to sound good and consistent. The problem is, it doesn't. I have a ton of problems triggering rolls and fast parts. The original tracks are pretty tight dynamically, but when i trigger them it doesn't sound as tight. What am i missing? How do you guys get your trigger'd tracks to sound so consistent?

do you seperately trigger rolls? which plug in do you use? what settings? how many samples usually? what's your chain like before your replacement plug in? Should i just buy a ddrum trigger?

If i had a way of hosting the file, i would upload the snare track to see if you guys could trigger it better than i could.

Ever tried using this: http://www.hostfil.es/ to host your files?

I'm by NOOO means an expert on replacing, but I really like Aptrigga. I've had more luck with it than Drumagog so far. But, I barely know what I'm doing. I'm just starting to get fast snare parts to sound okay, but replacing toms is the part that's killing me right now. I'm hoping someone else will jump in here to answer your question.

Did you track have too much bleed in the first place? Drumagog has always worked for me relatively easy. A trick to get Drumagog to work better would be to manually edit out all the parts in between tom hits and set the threshold lower. You could also use envelopes to do this, drop the bleed inbetween hits 12db or so and you can usually get a pretty killer natural sound too.

Thanks Hex. I don't mean to hi-jack Keith's thread here. There's no track bleed whatsoever on the toms. I have no idea who tracked this or how they tracked it (it's just a one song mix project). I was originally having problems with multiple triggers due to the tom's ringing. I did a lot of chopping up of the toms, to avoid the false triggers and got that taken care of. But it sounds so artificial. I guess I need to go back and play more with the velocity/trigger levels and maybe utilizing aptrigga's pre-trigger filtering instead of chopping them up so badly. Actually, I've got the natural toms sounding pretty decent, I'm just using this as practice...as I'm still learning the hard way with replacing drums. Thanks again.

Hmm, well when I'm triggering natural drums on Drumagog there's a feature called Dynamic Tracking that helps a lot with that. If you're using like 10 different samples it shouldn't sound too bad.

That could be your problem though maybe all the original hits are the same volume and Aptrigga is just keying off of that? I dunno though, I've never used Aptrigga.

Well, aptrigga has level, filter, and pitch mod controls. But I'm still trying to figure this stuff out. I'm thinking about giving drumagog another shot (haven't messed with it in a while) because of the Dynamic Tracking feature. Thanks again!

Drumagog can write to midi.
I always run through the track and record the midi that Drumagog sends.
Route the recorded midi track back into Drumagog.

Now you have a midi track that you can edit any way you want.

I personally have found Drumagog to be vastly easier to use overall, but Aptrigga sounds nicer to my ears. I usually cut out the dead space on drum tracks as is. Every now and then I'll manually fix some odd hits here or there (weak hit in a roll, etc.). I find myself doing more work on rolls and intricate stuff on Aptrigga than I ever have in Drumagog.