What's this drumbeat called?

Torniojaws

They call me Juha
May 15, 2005
Espoo, Finland
www.vortechmusic.com
You can hear the (blast)beat in for example:

Soilwork - Blind Eye Halo (0:31 - 0:34)
Bloodbath - Soul Evisceration (3:19 - 3:25)
Dark Funeral - King Antichrist (1:03 - 1:17)

Edit:
Here's an audio example of the three:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/juhau/beat.mp3

I'm having a hard time making a similar drumbeat with a drum machine. I guess knowing how the beat goes would help :loco: :lol:

I think it's:

Ride/hihat - 8th notes
Snare - 32nd notes
Kick - 16th notes

Code:
R/H  x---x---x---x---
S    oooooooooooooooo
K    o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

But I can't get that to sound quite right. The beat in the Bloodbath clip (middle one) sounds like the kick and snare play at the same time, but that way the beat doesn't sound anything like it should with the drum machine.

Edit2:
Here's a good example from the Dark Funeral one:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/juhau/fun-fer-all.mp3

There the drummer first plays kicks and snare at the same time, and then switches to the other blast which I'm trying to do.

From what I can tell, at least with the Soilwork, it's called a "one foot blast."

Basically... take your standard kick snare kick snare kick snare kick snare thrash beat, with the hat/ride on the kick, and double time it.

In 16th's, the kicks will be on the "one" and the "and," while snare is on the "ee" and "uh". (counting one-ee-and-uh two-ee-and-uh...)

yeah i was going to say gravity but it's at a slowish tempo so either push-pull or (if you're fast enough) finger blasting with feet at 16th.

its a split foot or one foot blast, depending on how the drummer plays it and if he is doing open closed hi hat work etc. imagine a 16th note roll at like 230 or so except instead of all on the snare it goes kick then snare kick then snare etc. the high hat or ride hits on the down beat with the kick and the snare is on the upbeat. you can also do half time on the hat or ride.

K S K S K S K S K S K S

Technically, that sort of beat would be alternating kick and snare, but at speed alot of drummers sound like they are hitting the kick and snare at the same time. (Some obviously do hit at the same time)

In that dark Funeral clip, during the first part, it just sounds like he's hitting the snare harder - or maybe leading with the snare.

ive heard it being called different things but where i live it's commonly called a broken blast beat... instead the more "standard" blast beat of snare hihat and bd being being played in unison or bd subdividing with sixteenths... hihat and bass are playing eights starting on the downbeat and the snare is on the e's and a's of the beat (counted in sixteenth note subdivision)

yeah it is the blast that most people are saying. kick snare kick snare with the ride or hats being hit the same time as the kick.

back when i was growing up this was called either a european blast or a grind beat.