What's your favourite version of 'Hallelujah'?

slashvanyoung

Dopefish lives!
Jul 18, 2006
Germany
My opinion:

3. Jeff Buckley: Yeah, the cliché answer. But Buckley's version made the song so popular for a reason. Granted, his untimely death played a huge role in his "iconization", but all that aside it's still a more than memorable performance.

Honestly, if there would be a version completely sung by Norwegian pop sensation Kurt Nilsen, Jeff Buckley probably wouldn't have made my top 3. But to my knowledge there isn't. And k.d. lang gets an honourable mention.

As you probably know, Andy Wallace mixed "Grace" and while all of the vocal tracks on the album are only conservatively compressed, the dynamic range on 'Hallelujah' sticks out and it highlights Buckley's performance.

2. Leonard Cohen: The original. Cohen's a genius. Period. Arguably the most accomplished lyricist of our time. And this song is another testimonial. And much like Tom Waits, the character of his voice makes up for lack of range.

1. John Cale: Delivering the blueprint for Buckley's version, John Cale asks Cohen for the lyrics to 'Hallelujah' and receives 15 pages worth of verses. Cale weeds out the "redundant" verses, arranges a stripped-down piano version and gives the song a new identity. The definite performance, especially because he spares us the over-dramatic vibrato and pathos of later renditions, yet he's the only one who manages to give me goosebumps every time I listen to his version.

What do you think?

This is literally my favorite song of all time.

I like Rufus Wainwright's version(s); Its second place to a version I witnessed live by Amanda Palmer during the encore on the last tour the Dresden Dolls did... Its extremely rare to experience something musical that literally brings tears to my eyes. That performance was one of them. I wish I could have filmed it or something because there isn't a trace of that performance anywhere online.

I like the Buckley version. But I can't say it has had the impact on me that it has for other people. It's okay.. kind of a nice pop song type of deal. Like The Smashing Pumpkins... don't hate them... quite like them.. but they're not one of my favourite bands and I rarely listen to them. But when I do... it doesn't offend.

I can't stand the chorus of this song anymore, I've heard too many annoying versions of it and it's all worn out for me now.

But I did go and listen to the version by Jeff Buckley, and even though I still don't like the chorus itself, and while it didn't make me terribly emotional, I must say that I can't remember when I've last heard someone sing with such passion. The guitar work in it is also beautiful.

How can the answer be anything other than Leonard Cohen? He WROTE the damn song.

If I covered say... Death - Symbolic and posted it up and it became a really famous cover, which would never happen, but let's roll with it anyway, it would still be Chuck's song, he's the mastermind behind it, not me, I'd just be paying homage.

I know the topic is a matter of preference but.. Ehh

It's the reason why I'm not asking "What's the best version?" but rather people's favourite. Some people take songs and make them completely their own. And John Cale did exactly that IMHO.

I could write an awesome song for a tenor voice and sing it myself. It would be the original, but other people who can actually sing in that range will probably perform a much better version.

I see absolutely nothing contradicting to the thought of liking a cover more than the original.

You don't necessarily need to write something to get a sincere emotional attachment to it that'll shine through the music. So many performers of classics didn't write them themselves.

I much prefer the Buckley version, stylistically he's just miles better than Cohen (for me) and that song is great the way he does it, very on edge, lots of dynamics and contrast, he really goes places with it.

I disagree with Gareth to an extent, good music is like a good story and just because someone is a good storywriter doesnt make them a good storyteller, Bob Dylan is another great example of someone whose songs translate better to other peoples styles than his own.

I really like Damien Rice's rendition, itself probably based on Jeff Buckley's.

But I get flamed about it all the time with people saying Jeff Buckley's better.

Last edited by a moderator: