What's your favourite version of 'Hallelujah'?

Öwen;9386174 said:
I much prefer the Buckley version, stylistically he's just miles better than Cohen (for me) and that song is great the way he does it, very on edge, lots of dynamics and contrast, he really goes places with it.

I disagree with Gareth to an extent, good music is like a good story and just because someone is a good storywriter doesnt make them a good storyteller, Bob Dylan is another great example of someone whose songs translate better to other peoples styles than his own.

I think that's valid; just look at Johnny Cash's cover of Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt". Once Trent Reznor heard it, he felt like it was no longer his song, since Johnny had reinterpreted it in such a strong way.

Öwen;9386174 said:
I much prefer the Buckley version, stylistically he's just miles better than Cohen (for me) and that song is great the way he does it, very on edge, lots of dynamics and contrast, he really goes places with it.

I disagree with Gareth to an extent, good music is like a good story and just because someone is a good storywriter doesnt make them a good storyteller, Bob Dylan is another great example of someone whose songs translate better to other peoples styles than his own.

Hit the nail on the head why I prefer Buckley's version.
And your second point, very spot on too.
For example, All Along the Watchtower.
Personally I think Bob Dylan's version is nothing more than okay at best and I'm not inspired enough to really be bothered listening to it, but when The Jimi Hendrix Experience got a hold of it, it just blows my fucking mind and I could listen to it everyday and not get sick of it.

Probably Ari Hests version. Virtually unheard of I assume but his voice is so captivating...
Im not gay but I reckon he could woo me if I ever met him in real life :oops:

Last edited by a moderator: